PDA

View Full Version : Win Xp

26-10-2001, 11:54 PM
A couple of queries regarding setting up XP:
1. I have an IMB laptop which came with s 'recovery CD' rather than a stand alone Win 98 CD. I had intended to do a clean install of XP, but when the time comes to insert the previous version of windows CD to qualify for the upgrade set up cannot or willnot recognise the recovery disk version of Win 98. Any body have an answer?

In any case I did a clean install of Win 98 and then upgraded. XP is running quickly & entirely stable on my P500 with 198mb ram. A vast improvement over Win 98 at this early stage.

2.On Win 98 & IE6, when closing IE or Outlook Express an Auto Disconnect dialogue box came up with an option to 'disconnect now' which when clicked closed the connection. XP & IE6 dosn't do this by default & users have to remember to close the modem/connection icon in the notification area of the task bar. Forgeting ties up the phone line needlessly. Anybody know how to enable this feature in XP? I can't figure it out. Thanx for your help.

27-10-2001, 08:12 AM
Not sure about XP, but in the other OS you goto: Internet options in control panel or 'tools' while you are in the browser and work your way to/connections/settings/ advanced/and check on: disconect when connection may nolonger be needed.

27-10-2001, 09:12 AM
In this case you should be aboe to use you 'boot disk'

Thanks
Jess