PDA

View Full Version : Monitors switching off on startup

gary67
25-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I have a computer here (not mine) and when you start it up you get the XP bar going side to side for about 5 secs then the monitor light goes from green to amber and the screen goes off.

It's my old crappy spare monitor so don't know if it happens on the owners one as they away until Tuesday night.

If I turn the monitor on and back on the screen comes back and i'm away. It's on a ATI video card and is a P4 CPU.

I have fixed the problem it came to me with by changing the CMOS battery and resetting the BIOS back to default.

The onboard VGA was disabled when I got it has sticker on the back saying so.

I'm guessing it might have made the onboard the default for monitor but don't see why this problem is happening as it was happening when I first turned it on before doing anything.

Tomorrow will go back into the BIOS and turn the onboard off.

Just wondering if anyone has come across anything similar before :badpc:

wainuitech
25-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Had the exact same thing yesterday at a customers place, after putting in a new graphic card (old one died) :illogical

It was a faulty Graphic Driver - if you un-installed the drivers or started in safe mode and run from the default windows it was perfect, install the actual drivers, get to loading screen, went black (monitor actually went into sleep mode, led went from green to amber) but you could hear windows starting up under it.

Alex B
25-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm guessing the crappy screen you have hooked up does not support the res that the good screen the customers screen does, hence no display.

gary67
25-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Had the exact same thing yesterday at a customers place, after putting in a new graphic card (old one died) :illogical

It was a faulty Graphic Driver - if you un-installed the drivers or started in safe mode and run from the default windows it was perfect, install the actual drivers, get to loading screen, went black (monitor actually went into sleep mode, led went from green to amber) but you could hear windows starting up under it.

sounds logical will give it a go tomorrow

wainuitech
25-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Just out of interest --- in the case I was describing, the screen res had nothing to do with it. It was a modern 22" LCD, and it didn't matter even if you lowered it right down to 800x600 it still played up, ended up removing the drivers etc with Driversweeper, it wasn't till I looked a bit deeper that I discovered another set of corrupted drivers that were causing the problems so had to manually remove those as well.

gary67
26-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Removed all drivers with driver sweeper, ran ccleaner's reg cleaner. Manually found the files and removed them booted and worked fine on the windows default drivers. Installed the latest from ATI back to turning off the monitor. Tried about 5 different drivers now and all do it, so will talk to the owner tomorrow

gary67
26-03-2012, 05:49 PM
*bump*

wainuitech
26-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Have you done a search through the registry to see if anything is left behind ?

Also check add/remove programs, even though I ran Driversweeper through, there were still a set of corrupted drivers in programs and features - in my case - Vista.

The fact that it runs OK without ATI drivers indicates a its a driver problem - have you tried install them with only the bare minimum and not all the fancy tweaking software ?

gary67
26-03-2012, 07:00 PM
ok will have another look tomorrow, a google search did turn up people finding low res monitors like the one i'm using can do it too, so going to whip one of my good ones out to the workshop tomorrow

8ftmetalhaed
26-03-2012, 07:19 PM
have you tried booting into a live distro of linux to check if it's an os specific issue?

gary67
26-03-2012, 07:21 PM
thats my other task for tomorrow ran out of time today, but it doesn't do it in safe mode

gary67
27-03-2012, 12:13 PM
unplugged one of my good monitors from the office took it to the workshop and plugged in and the monitor didn't shut off halfway through startup. So obviously the ATI card doesn't like my old 15" Phillips workshop monitor.

All good now thanks for those who helped out