PDA

View Full Version : Additional Ram

26-10-2001, 09:28 PM
Just purchased and installed 128mb Ram from Dick Smith's sale (one for $47). Originally, ram was 56mb for my Compaq 7480 and I installed the additional 128mb in the additional slot. Firstly, was that installation correct?? Also, how do I tell if I've installed the new Ram correctly, should I see in the 'my computer' properties box the total amount of ram??
Finally, would the 'Performance Status' of Systems resources change all the time after adding ram, because thats what my computer is doing now.
Thank you.

26-10-2001, 09:37 PM
Shouldnt matter where you put it although sometimes its better put the bigger ammount in slot 0 (first).

You can easily find out if windows has recognised the new ram, just go into control panel then double click on system and it will say how much ram you have.

Also performance staus does change and you may not notice much difference with the new ram as this has alot to do with swap file etc...

Also by what you said im guessing ur new ram is pc-133 sdram 168pin, I just hope ur rams slots on your mobo are at least pc-100 then you should be ok.

26-10-2001, 10:57 PM
Your unit had 64megs of ram amd 8meg set aside for on board video hence the reported 56 available...If you go by the book your 128 module should go into Dimm1 as Dimm0 already has 64meg in it.

Bu right clicking on 'my Computer' and selecting properties you ram should read about 184 give or take bit...

==Orac==

27-10-2001, 10:31 AM
I can't help thinking that you wouldn't be asking this if you had noticed a big improvement in your computer's performance. After I added 128mb to my 32mb my 'old' girl took off like a rocket!

Or maybe you just need reassuring...

Anyway, you can also watch your screen during bootup when it tests the memory and it will show the total ram then.

28-10-2001, 09:25 PM
Maybe you fried it, with static electricity, always touch the case before inserting ram, don't wear socks on carpet while inserting ram or touch components, did it come with an anti-static bag, antistatic instructions? Some people wear anti-static wrist straps.
Hope this helps.

28-10-2001, 10:09 PM
I have fitted ram recently for the first time also.
I found it very hard to firmly seat it home. I was trying to be gentle so as not to damage the circuit board.
It was necessary to slightly rock it from end to end whilst inserting enough pressure on the topside ends at the same time.

It had me concerned for a while, but using the right combination of pressure and care I made it. (I was wearing an antistatic wrist strap)

Did the end clips click back into the fully closed position afterwards?

The books say that if it doesn't work at first, try removing and reinserting again. Perhaps some of the tiny contacts didn't quite make contact the first time.

There are a couple of good articles in NZPC World mags, Nov 2000 page 118-9, and Oct 2001 page 83. Pictures and all, very good!
Good luck.

30-10-2001, 02:19 PM
Thanks to all's advice & replies.
I have since discovered the cause of my problem, the stick of ram I purchased from Dick Smith was dodgy. Otherwise, no good, that I had been given a ram, previously returned by another customer. When I think back to when I purchased the ram I remember that a) it was not sealed or in a sealed bag (but because it was my first time buying or even seeing what a stick of ram looked like I was probably ignorant to the norm) So when I took it back to be exchanged, I got a brand new stick of ram, in a sealed and covered bag all ready to go. I have since installed it, which was very simple, my computer has read the additional ram and my computer has greatly improved.
To end: My advice, check that what you buy is indeed brand new and not one that is destined for the garbage.
Thanks.