View Full Version : Win7 MFC win network scan , please recommend one

15-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi there
Im after a Laser, B&W mono mfc that can scan across the network

but...
must have bundled scanning software that works with Win7
must have scan to pdf

the user(not me) will want to use bundled scanning software, not the Win7 WIA

The new Brothers SEEM to be a possibility, but all the info Ive found dont specifically say if their scan software is Win7 compatible

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Any recent printer should be compatible with Win 7 32/64 bit. The HL-2130 has Win7 drivers. Looks like the Brother HL-2250DN (from DSE $179) is network capable, and has Win7 drivers. You'll have to see if the software it uses supports scanning to PDF. Not many people use the Win7 drivers. You have to make sure the printer isnt plugged in and turned on when you connect it. Otherwise Win7 will install its own drivers. You have to wait till the install tells you to connect the printer. Then plug it in / turn it on

The MFC736ON is also network capable, but its about $350 (the above printers may not be MFC tho)

15-03-2012, 12:09 PM
thanks for the reply. I know most now have Win7 drivers .

Its the scan Software that MUST be Win7 compatible. All the MFC's Ive installed so far didnt have any updated
Win7 compatible scan software .
None were new models but some were only 1-2 years old.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2012, 12:24 PM
The canon I have here one of its programs (from the site), lets you scan and save as PDF. Only thing it doesnt have is fax. And it doesnt have ethernet. But you can still print to it over a network. But its an inkjet not a laser

CYaBro
15-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Our Brother MFC-8460N scans to PDF directly from the unit itself without even needing a PC, just need an FTP server for it to save the scan to.
This MFC is about 4 years old too.
I have it setup to scan to PDF and save directly to our NAS box which has an FTP server built in.

Jeff
15-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Kyocera have ones that can do the job.

They have Scan to SMB, Scan to FTP and Twain scanning.

You can scan in TIFF,PDF and JPEGS(colour only).

15-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Most MFC scanners do all this with bundled software.
Alot of the old bundled software Ive seen has issues with Win7.
Any of these running on 7 , ie confirmed Win7 compatibility??

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Look for whatever printer, go to the printers site. And see if there are Win7 drivers. Thats the only way to find out

15-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Let me re-phrase the question :)
Has anyone a MFC whose bundled scanning software works in windows7.

Just having 7 drivers & software available really means nothing (as Ive previously found out)
A quick google finds lots of postings of issues with 7 & bundled scan software. eg Brother Control Centre scan ,HP Scan Software etc

Cheers
:)

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Not ALL printers have bundled software. Some do make their own, and its on whatever site. So, if it doesnt work (and there's Win7 drivers for it), then you've stuffed something up somewhere

dugimodo
15-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I have the brother DCP-7065DN I recently purchased from PB tech in hamilton for around $180 and it does everthing you mention, and yes the software works with windows 7. It's fairly basic but it does the job without much hassle.
And yes it can scan to PDF to I just tested it. I imagine most brother devices in this price range would have much the same software.

edit; I just reread one of your posts, this is using the control centre scan and it works fine for me under windows 7.