PDA

View Full Version : Faulty PC on Trade Me

pcuser42
14-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my test machine, but have a limited budget and all the suitable PCs on Trade Me close with bids far higher than that :pAs such I'm looking at getting a dirt cheap, but faulty, HP DC7600. The auction states it powers up but has no display. I'm wondering how easy of a fix this may be? (I'm not worried about time, but if it'll be costly to fix then I won't bother.)Only issue other than that is that the PC comes with no RAM and I have no DDR2 spare :p

nerd89
14-03-2012, 05:47 PM
At $7.50 it looks a bit overpriced. No hard drive, no ram, cpu?

wainuitech
14-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Got a customers one here at the moment - exact same thing -- Powers up , no display -- Mother board is stuffed, wont work with any graphic card PCi-E or PCI - tested their components in a known good board and worked first time. Basically theres is not even worth trying to fix with the board blown.

You would be better off buying a motherboard/cpu combo from trade me - I was looking at one the other day as a cheap replacement for someone - fully working condition, board and CPU XP COA and case under $40 , something like http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/motherboards/intel/auction-454662253.htm

bk T
14-03-2012, 06:03 PM
They should pay you to have it!:D

pcuser42
14-03-2012, 06:04 PM
You would be better off buying a motherboard/cpu combo from trade me - I was looking at one the other day as a cheap replacement for someone - fully working condition, board and CPU under $40 , something like http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/motherboards/intel/auction-454662253.htm Only problem with that idea is that the existing PC is a Dell, which means proprietary connectors... EDIT: Oh, case too. :p

wainuitech
14-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Easy enough to change connectors to suit another board if you have to, just have to make sure the wiring is right - have to do that with HP's sometimes, they love making USB ports and wiring non standard. :)