PDA

View Full Version : Strange sound problem

Vince
14-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Recently I have been getting no[B] sound from Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox.
I am still getting perfect sound from Musicmatch Jukebox and Skype.?

I've run Dell's "Driver Reset Tool", I've run the "System File Checker". With no luck.

I am running 3 antivirus programs that scan incoming and outgoing traffic as well as Comodo Firewall,
which is good at detecting dubious behaviour.

I have run 5 anti malware programs at their highest settings and freshly updated, nothing.?

I have reinstalled all the relevant programs and the sound card.
Device Manager tells me that everything is working correctly.

What could the problem be?
What more can I do??

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Probably not a good idea running so many AV programs at once. Or running 5 anti-malware programs at once

Vince
14-03-2012, 08:12 AM
I didn't run them at the same time!

Avast, Super Antispyware and Spybot S&D get along just fine.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Must be an option in FF or TB. If the sound works everywhere else. Uninstall both then reinstall them. Might be a corrupt profile or something

mikebartnz
14-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Probably not a good idea running so many AV programs at once.
A very bad idea. You should only have one AV otherwise there will be conflicts.

dugimodo
14-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah overkill on the anti-virus front, but as to the sound problem. Have you checked what the default output device is set to? In XP it's under control panel, sounds and audio devices, under the audio tab. Window 7 is similar but I don't have it here to tell you exactly. I mention because I recently encountered a pc that had a dial-up modem set as the default audio out device which somehow still worked fine for everything except IE8 which had no sound on youtube etc. Setting it to the soundcard fixed the problem.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Control panel / sound in Win7. If a dialup modem is also a voicemodem, it can set itself as the default sound device

Agent_24
14-03-2012, 10:37 AM

I've never actually seen these 'conflicts'

But, running multiple anti-anything programs with realtime scanners will at the least impact system performance horribly.

Vince
14-03-2012, 08:47 PM

There have been no conflicts in a setup I have been running for years.

Vince
14-03-2012, 08:55 PM
I have already done every setting on everything remotely connected.

Vince
14-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Could I have a response of a helpful nature this time please.
The problem is that my sound card works for some programs and not fore others.
Chameleon Clock no longer chimes the hours either.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Get rid of all but one AV program and antimalware program for a start. And disable Spybot's option to check the registry whatever its called. This can screw things up

dugimodo
14-03-2012, 09:37 PM
So did you check the default output device? Some programs can be set to use particular sound devices, others just use the default.

Agent_24
14-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Are you using Windows Vista or Windows 7?

In both of those you can change volume levels on a per-program basis. Could be that some programs have had their volume turned off but not others.

mikebartnz
14-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Get rid of all but one AV program and antimalware program for a start. And disable Spybot's option to check the registry whatever its called. This can screw things up
TeaTimer and it is not really TeaTimer screwing it up but people not able to follow instructions.

mikebartnz
14-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Could I have a response of a helpful nature this time please.
With your attitude it is very unlikely.:groan:

mikebartnz
14-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Are you using Windows Vista or Windows 7?

In both of those you can change volume levels on a per-program basis. Could be that some programs have had their volume turned off but not others.
Wasn't aware of that as I don't use Win7 enough.

mikebartnz
15-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I've never actually seen these 'conflicts'

But, running multiple anti-anything programs with realtime scanners will at the least impact system performance horribly.
You won't see them apart from slowing the system down but each time you open a file with three AV running they will be arguing (conflicting) over which gets to scan it first.
Conflict = to come into collision or disagreement.

wainuitech
15-03-2012, 10:11 AM
With your attitude it is very unlikely.:groan: Couldn't agree more.:thumbs:

Vince - you have to remember we are all mind readers here and can see your computer so its simple to fix it -- ( I'm being sarcastic if you didn't cotton on )

Going by your descriptions "no sound from Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox" Funny mine doesn't make any sounds at all either. Movies or music playing does, but not Firefox on its own. :p

There may be some file assignations not right in FF, open tool/options/Application Tab - there you can select any type of sound/Program to a certain application on the PC already.

Dont ask which one, as before we cant see what you have.

re the Clock - did you check to make sure its actually got a sound file connected to it now and its actually working from that sound - Open the Application, Actions/Chimes/Edit/ Sound

Vince
15-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I found the source of the problem, but I don't feel like sharing it; considering the responses I've had.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Dont then

wainuitech
15-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I found the source of the problem, but I don't feel like sharing it; considering the responses I've had.If you ask questions that are incomplete, and not all the details provided, then come across with a bad attitude by making comments like "Could I have a response of a helpful nature this time " and the quoted (putting please on the end doesn't make any difference) then dont expect a helpful reply.

Every one here donates their time and skills to help others freely - just remember that.

Agent_24
15-03-2012, 04:34 PM
But he wasn't totally wrong, telling someone to uninstall their antivirus programs isn't exactly a helpful answer.

wainuitech
15-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Sometimes though if the AV is causing a problem then uninstalling it can eliminate it or fix it. Anyone with any knowledge should know exactly what the suggestion was meant to achieve.

Two knowledgeable people both suggesting it and its not taken any notice of.

Doesn't matter anyway - obviously looking at post #9, I would suspect anything thats been suggested really wouldn't be tried unless it met with the ops approval

I am running 3 antivirus programs that scan incoming and outgoing traffic as well as Comodo Firewall,
That combination is a recipe for disaster at any time.

Dont think anyones going to lose any sleep over not knowing what the actual cause was :)

Agent_24
15-03-2012, 07:24 PM
I agree that running 3 AVs at once isn't a great idea but I don't really believe that running 3 AVs caused him to lose sound in only two applications.

Sure 3 AVs scanning real-time at once might lag his machine to death but from the fact that his original post stated: "Recently I have been getting no sound from Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox. " suggests to me that they weren't the cause, otherwise the sound would not have worked from day one.

Of course I may be wrong because I've never actually tried to run 3 AVs at once...

wainuitech
15-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Ive seen it done on customers computers-- they all managed to disable one another.

To quote myself:
Dont think anyones going to lose any sleep over not knowing what the actual cause was :)

mikebartnz
15-03-2012, 08:36 PM
I found the source of the problem, but I don't feel like sharing it; considering the responses I've had.
No loss.

mikebartnz
15-03-2012, 08:39 PM
But he wasn't totally wrong, telling someone to uninstall their antivirus programs isn't exactly a helpful answer.
It gives a fair indication as to if you can really help the person or not though.