PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Internet to function in Internet Explorer

Xam
13-03-2012, 09:01 PM
After a tragedy while trying to copy my hard disk to another hard disk for backup (using Paragon) both disks became inoperable. Having reformatted the disk I was copying into and reformatted it I reinstalled Windows XP, Service Packs 2 and 3 and various other programmes. In trying to license them however I found I couldn't open Internet Explorer because "this webpage is unavailable because you are off line". In frustration I installed both Firefox and Google Chrome and both immediately operated perfectly. Other messages included: "Connecting. Dialing Xtra. Error 678 and The remote computer did not respond" I would be grateful for advice on how I can open Internet Explorer so I can licence my Microsoft programmes and dowload Adobe Flash player. Many thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2012, 09:06 PM
This is what that error means. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892889). Are you on broadband or dialup?

Xam
13-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Sorry! I should have mentioned that I am on Broadband.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2012, 09:21 PM
mm open IE then go to tools / internet options / advanced. Reset everything. Or go to the file menu make sure work offline isnt ticked. Get teamviewer if you want, and I can have a look (http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Setup_en.exe) <- direct link to file. If you get it install it then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM. You'll see what I'm doing

pctek
14-03-2012, 06:49 AM
I reinstalled Windows XP,"Connecting. Dialing Xtra. Error 678
So how did you then set the default internet connection to be a dialup modem?
Did you install all your motherboard drivers?

Safari
14-03-2012, 07:18 AM
In IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections
Delete the dialup connection showing there.

Xam
14-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Thank you all for your help but having tried everything - except another complete new installation that I didn't think I could face - unsuccessfully I have wiped Windows Explorer, set up Chrome as my internet connection and licensed my Windows programmes over the phone. Thankyou all!!