PDA

View Full Version : Boot up speed probs

ChazTheGeek
13-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Do you knowledgeable people know how to speed up my boot. Iv'e disabled some things in the msconfig section and I also have soluto to pause things that run in boot. I done everything I can. Iv'e also tried everything in the latest PC World mag in the Secret Windows Fixes article.

Any one else have any Ideas. I'm not going to get SSD either. :stare::stare::horrified

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Dont disable services under msconfig. If you want to disable services, disable them under services. Did you disable entries under startup? If so, what?

wainuitech
13-03-2012, 06:03 PM
It depends on whats causing something to go slow on startup, sometimes its just windows clutter, other times could be hardware problems - a complete reinstall can be an answer.

When you say slow to start up, what sort of times are you referring to ???? , a lot has to do with the system spec's of the PC, what actual "needed programs" are running in the background etc.

You dont need a SSD drive. I just finished a reinstall of a Old IBM laptop today, has XP, takes a fraction of the time it used to. The reinstall was needed due to a failing hard Drive with bad sectors, replaced the drive and reinstalled.

dugimodo
13-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Some BIOS's have a fast boot or startup option, just reduces some of the POST testing a little but can help.
And some machines are just slow, this PC has an SSD and takes almost as long to boot as my other machine with a standard 7200rpm hdd, only really winning at the end, ie they both get to the desktop in about the same time but the hdd keeps doing stuff for another 10-15 seconds after the SSD stops. The difference is this one takes nearly twice as long to get to the stage of starting to load off the hdd after doing the RAM test and the Raid controller test and a few stretching exercises while letting the other one think it's winning, only to streak past it in the end.

ChazTheGeek
14-03-2012, 04:17 PM
The desktop takes ages to load. I don't have that many Folders either. It's not like that's going to be a problem. I don't that many things running in the background either.
I'll have a look in the BIOS though.

pctek
14-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Clean out startup.
Run CCleaner.
Remove malware.

If it is still slow - and I test in Safe Mode - then a wipe and fresh install cures it.

If its fast in safe mode but slow normally, it's just clutter and possibly malware.

kahawai chaser
14-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Try a bootup diagnostic utility like solutu. (https://www.soluto.com/) Shows load times for utilities, software, etc. Review (http://www.pcworld.com/article/197095/soluto_utility_shrinks_pc_boot_times_fixes_problem s.html) from pcworld. Autoruns, (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902) though a bit more advanced is another.

ChazTheGeek
14-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Iv'e got solutu it's great but my boot is still slow. I clean my computer for malware every now and then even though it's not connected to internet. I do connect it sometimes though. Yep I use CCleaner too. Is there another way than doing a complete re-install?

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Connect it to the net, install teamviewer. Then run it. Send me the ID and password it gives you in a PM. I can have a look from here