PDA

View Full Version : So I bought the Samsung colour laser............

Billy T
13-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Back in This Thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?123137-Opinions-experience-on-colour-laser-printer-please&highlight=laser) I was looking at a Samsung CLP325 for $199 (incl GST) on special but missed that sale and put the whole idea on hold.

I was in the Stationery Warehouse a couple of days back looking for special Avery labels that I use for calibration certificates and saw that the Samsung was now down to $169. I found the labels elsewhere and picked them up this afternoon, then headed to the S.W. to buy the printer.

Unfortunately the sale had finished and they had none in stock, but with a bit of persuasion, prepayment and a wait of a few days for delivery I bought one for the sale price of $169.

Now here is the interesting thing:

Two packs of glossy labels, 25 sheets/ 200 labels per pack: $235.00 (200 minus GST, which I get back).

Samsung Colour Laser to print them: $165.00 ($135.00 minus GST)

How the heck can two packs of unprinted sticky paper cost more than a Colour Laser for heavens sake!

I blame the Gummint, they are fiddling while Godzone burns.

Cheers

Billy8-{)

plod
13-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Is there a particular reason you need avery labels?
I suggest you try B and F papers, not sure if their deal with the public though. The other place we use is labelline.com.au although in Aussie their very fast turnaround.
If you are interested in getting them preprinted you could try http://www.thelabelbureau.co.nz/index.php, which are again very cheap, almost to cheap to warrant doing it yourself.

Billy T
13-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Is there a particular reason you need avery labels?

Yes. They were the only brand and type I could find that was the correct size, had a suitable surface coating, accepted Laser printing very well, and were durable enough to last 12 months in factory environments where they might get an occasional washdown.

I've only ever had to replace two during their 12 month validity period due to damage by solvents, and that is an exercise in itself because they are all individually numbered and that number is tied to a full certification document, so both the label and the certificate have to be reissued, and a full explanation given for the change.

For those reasons I couldn't even contemplate making a change without a proper trial run etc. Others might well be cheaper and better, but it is much simpler to stick with the devil I know.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

plod
13-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Still think you need to find a better supplier, I know we don't pay that for our avery labels, in fact we don't pay a quarter of what you paid. Pm me if you want me to source them for you.

somebody
13-03-2012, 08:31 PM
I've used The Label Bureau before - the people there were friendly and helpful, prices were reasonable, even for the relatively short run that I was asking for.

Billy T
15-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Still think you need to find a better supplier, I know we don't pay that for our avery labels, in fact we don't pay a quarter of what you paid. Pm me if you want me to source them for you.

I've got them now, but I'd be interested to know what price they might be bought for elsewhere. My price works out at 50c per sticker once I've got the GST back, which I can live with quite happily. They are L7765 or reorder code 959765, 99.1mm x 67.7mm, 200 per pack.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
15-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Extract from my post in December 2004 when I was first looking to buy a colour laser:

It would be a hypothetical question for me anyway, because I am favouring the Fuji and that has a 4000 page colour cartridge. Allowing that the "starter" cartridges might provide only 2000 pages, given my low colour demand that would just about last me the life of the printer. When they ran out, I would probably be able to buy another colour laser for less than the cost of replacements. I would still use the HP1200 for straight monochrome work until it died as well.

One of my better views through the looking glass I think.

I didn't buy a colour laser for another 12 months, but I was right on the nail when I predicted that I would be able to buy a replacement colour laser printer for less than the cost of a set of toner cartridges. Currently the price appears to be $725 for a set of Epson C1100 cartridges and $670 for clones (more than I paid for the printer).

So, in fact I bought a new colour laser printer for less than the price of one colour toner cartridge, cheaper that I estimated by a factor of four. The HP1200 is still going OK too!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

plod
15-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I will look into those prices for you to compare. One of the colour machines at work has a black cartridge life of 50000. And the length of your arm as long as you're not an amputee.

Billy T
16-03-2012, 09:45 AM
One of the colour machines at work has a black cartridge life of 50000. And the length of your arm as long as you're not an amputee.

I had to assess some damaged commercial laser printers for insurance purposes and their toner cartridges were monstrous. I don't know what their page rating was, but it must have been in the 100's of thousands because these were bureau machines that ran 24/7 and were rated for millions of copies. As you'd expect, they could copy, collate and bind all in one operation.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

plod
16-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Ok billy, I can supply the avery labels for $69+ gst for a pack of 25. I can get a different brand that is 97*68 for $55+gst for a pack of 100 sheets.Yeah the machines are getting big, currently we run a colour 1000, which is the biggest production laser under the igen.http://www.fujixerox.co.nz/catalogue/product.aspx?id=ed073714-877b-41bc-b6f0-298dab33b4fd