12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Can someone please post the direct structure of a win 64 bit machine

specifically the equivalent of windows/Windows/System32/config

Snorkbox
12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Which version of Windows?

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Do you mean Win7 x64? Is this what you mean?? Windows\system32\config?

DeSade
12-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Thank you speedy

Trying to follow this

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/change-your-forgotten-windows-password-with-the-linux-system-rescue-cd/

but its giving me trouble on this

cd /mnt/windows/Windows/System32/config

Can't find it.

Snorkbox
12-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I do have XP Pro and Win 7 system32 DIRS both for 64 bit.

DeSade
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
I doubt its a 64bit system now actually.

But I still can't change to the directory listed above
/mnt/windows/Windows/System32/config

any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2012, 04:18 PM
There is no windows/windows folder. Its c:\windows\system32\config (in Win7 x64). In XP 32 bit, its the same. C:\windows\system32/config

DeSade
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
/mnt/windows is the mount
the directory is /Windows/System32/config

Still not sure why I can't cd to it though

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
What are you doing this in? Vista / Win7, or linux?? If its windows, you dont need mnt. If its windows go to that folder / hold shift down, then right mouse. Select open command window here

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Ah so you want to reset a windows login password? Use this instead if you are. (http://pogostick.net/%7Epnh/ntpasswd/). Click on bootdisk up the top

Get the ISO then burn it. Then boot from the CD. Or get the files for a USB flash drive, then copy the files to it. Then type this in windows command prompt, to make it bootable. CD to the flash drive first

X:syslinux.exe -ma X: where X is the letter of the flash drive. Once you boot from the Cd or flash drive. Just select the defaults. Until you get to the partition windows is on. You have to make sure you select the right partition, so it can remove / reset the password. (esp if the computer has a restore partition) Then, remember to press Q (or !) I think it is to write what you've done. Before you quit

Chilling_Silence
12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
It's coz it's going to be case sensitive
run:
cat /proc/mounts

This will show you where everything is mounted
What you want to do is probably something like:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
Then type:
cd /mnt/windows

You're now in your windows drive, so then try something like:
ls
This will give you a directory listing. Your windows may or may not be "Windows" or "windows" or "WINDOWS", it depends. Remeber, it's linux now so it's going to be case sensitive.
So then you want to go:
cd windows
ls | grep -i system32
The "-i" means "Ignore case", so it'll show you if it's System32, SYSTEM32 or system32
Then:
cd system32
Again, keep in mind however it's capitalized

I'm pretty sure the config directory is always lower-case so you can then:
cd config

*finally* you can:
chntpw –l SAM

...and follow the rest of the tutorial.

When you're done, you need to run (Don't forget to unlock the account after you've nullified it's password, I'm not sure if it's in the tutorial, haven't read it):
cd ~/
umount /mnt/windows

This will safely unmount the drive. Then, kill power / reboot / whatever :)

wainuitech
12-03-2012, 08:29 PM
To reset the Windows 7 password - All you need is a windows recovery 7 CD or the original install DVD and about 30 seconds of time once at the command prompt-- Have a look These instructions (http://reboot.pro/15751/) From step 4 onwards, from the command prompt. Done it several times at customers places and they are shocked as to how easy it is.

Take note of 6- When you reach the LogOn screen hit the Shift key 5 times, a command window will open. Other wise it doesn't work.

tmrafi
13-03-2012, 10:47 AM
/mnt/windows is the mount
the directory is /Windows/System32/config

Still not sure why I can't cd to it though
After mounting enter the following command,
find /mnt/windows -name SAM -print
this will locate the directory where the SAM file is and display. Then you can change to that directory. In my system SAM is in C:\WINNT\system32\config and I run WinXP SP3.
Also be careful with upper case/lower case etc. It has to be exact for the cd command to work in Linux.

DeSade
13-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Got it working
It was a case issue all the way through and I needed to use sda2 not sda1.

Thanks for the help.