PDA

View Full Version : Damaged micro usb (soldered) on WD Elements SE 1TB External.

vennsoh
12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my WD Elements 1TB.
The product number is WDBABV0010BBK-00.
The SATA is WD10TMVV.

I have found some images online.
This is how it looks,
http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/7853506200_1303823762.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa362/Jaganmohan_p/WD02.jpg

My problem
The micro usb that is soldered on to the PCB is damaged.
The external drive is working all good and okay until one day I realize I could not plug in my cable to the micro usb port.

Solutions
1) Get professionals to do a data recovery but that is too expensive.

2) Get a new micro usb and replace it. I will go with this. Do let me know if this is not feasible. I do realize the micro usb on Western Digital is slightly different. There is this black color, 2 holes thingy underneath it.

3) Are there any good computer, hardware repair shops in Auckland that could fix this?

- - -

However before I start anything, I need to know what micro usb to buy. I did a bit of research and if I am not mistaken, I think I need a Micro-B.
Do you know where could I buy electronic spare parts in Auckland? I will also need to get Torx T6 - 8 screwdrivers. Where could I grab those?
I have electrical engineering friends who could do all the soldering work for me.

Here is an image of the micro usb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Types-usb_new.svg

Cheers,
Venn.

mikebartnz
12-03-2012, 04:14 PM
The big thing is what is under the USB slot. If it is just a Micro-B there should only be 5 connections under the PCB to it. If so the thing with two holes will just be a packer.

vennsoh
12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Hi mike,

Thanks for the reply.
Yeap it is just a standard micro usb port. It has 5pins.
I have tried the cable with other micro usb ports and it fits and works well.

My micro usb port is damaged because the coating that is holding the 5pins have worn off and it leaves the 5 pins standing out there nakedly.

So far, none of the computer shops in Auckland that I have approached could fix this problem.

mikebartnz
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
My micro usb port is damaged because the coating that is holding the 5pins have worn off and it leaves the 5 pins standing out there nakedly.
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me as they are usually soldered on.

gary67
12-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Pull the hard drive out of the case and buy a new generic case that takes a sata drive, simple easy to do and saves all that shagging around with soldering irons

Agent_24
12-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Solutions
1) Get professionals to do a data recovery but that is too expensive.

2) Get a new micro usb and replace it. I will go with this. Do let me know if this is not feasible. I do realize the micro usb on Western Digital is slightly different. There is this black color, 2 holes thingy underneath it.

3) Are there any good computer, hardware repair shops in Auckland that could fix this?

- - -

However before I start anything, I need to know what micro usb to buy. I did a bit of research and if I am not mistaken, I think I need a Micro-B.
Do you know where could I buy electronic spare parts in Auckland? I will also need to get Torx T6 - 8 screwdrivers. Where could I grab those?
I have electrical engineering friends who could do all the soldering work for me.

If it were my drive I would buy a new socket and replace it myself, so getting your friend to do it will be the cheapest way, provided he\she actually knows what they're doing. Someone without the correct knowledge, experience and tools could easily ruin the entire thing or do a shoddy repair.

You should be able to get a replacement socket from Farnell or RS Components. RS would be better as they have free shipping.

I can't tell from those photos you posted if the socket is through-hole or suface-mount - the outer metal shield appears to be through-hole but the internal connectors can't be seen where they connect to the PCB - can you take a photo yourself and show them?

The screwdrivers you could buy from Dick-Smith. The 12-Piece "precision screwdriver set" has the Torx drivers you need.

KarameaDave
12-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Pull the hard drive out of the case and buy a new generic case that takes a sata drive, simple easy to do and saves all that shagging around with soldering irons

+1

mikebartnz
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
If you have a look at the photos it is the HD with the Micro-B connector on it.

vennsoh
12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
It seems that many people are still not aware of Western Digital new line of products.
I have to tell you guys again WD has no SATA connectors but only USB.
If you do a simple google search, you will be amazed how many people are troubled with their stupid USB-only hard drives.

I am not computer illiterate. So if it is as simple as changing enclosure I won't be asking this.

mikebartnz: It is possible for you to damage the pins. The only way? Try plugging in the cable with your external drive and put it in your luggage bag. That was how the coating got loosen when the cable bend the pins. Yeap I know your concern about surface mounted or through hole. I will need to separate the PCB from the hard drive to check it out.

I have a couple electrical engineering friends who will be doing the soldering work for me.
So I guess my external is in good hands.

I just thought of another solution for this, I could simply just hard wire the cable to the PCB.
It will be permanent but it is the easiest.

I will keep you guys updated with the progress and conclusion.

linw
12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Yea, saw two like this. Carrying the drives without removing the plug is what did it.

I tried re-soldering the socket but without success but YMMV.

The person had two buggered drives so I removed them and they bought a docking station which has been good for about a year, now.

mikebartnz
12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I just thought of another solution for this, I could simply just hard wire the cable to the PCB.
It will be permanent but it is the easiest.
Not a silly idea at all as long as you get the right wires hooked up.

vennsoh
12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Yea, I guess it won't be easy as I haven't seen how a dissected usb cable looks like.
I won't even know which wire would go where. Any guys here know how to do it?

Other than that, I could even try bypassing the damaged micro usb and hard wire onto the PCB. Again, I won't know how to do it and it seems trickier.
I found a tutorial, http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/2010/05/05/how-to-connect-and-recover-usb-only-western-digital-drives-with-hd-doctor-suite/

linw
13-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Makes sense, for sure. But the physical wrecking of the solder joints can break fine tracks but good luck.

13-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I take it you only want the data, not the drive??
Soldering a usb cable directly onto the board sounds like a good idea . A bit of googling may find where on the board to solder the
wires. If the original usb connector is shorted out then that will definitely need to come off 1st

as a last resort..
You could TRY buying another of these drives & swap the whole board. In theory the internal HD would have to be the same exact model & firmware .

vennsoh
13-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Hey yea, I think my last resort will be getting the exact same model and swap the PCB.
Since the data recovery will charge you a whole lot of money bypassing the damaged micro usb and get the data off.
They will not fix the HDD and they still need you to provide them with a new external drive to transfer all the files.

Thankfully WD Elements are not data encrypted unlike WD Essentials.

The external is with my engineering friends now. I am not sure what is the status.
I will keep you guys updated again.

mikebartnz
13-03-2012, 11:09 AM
A bit of googling may find where on the board to solder the wires. If the original usb connector is shorted out then that will definitely need to come off 1st.
The where is not the problem after all he will have to de-solder the USB connector it is getting the right wires to the right points.

Agent_24
13-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Indeed, just read the pinout of the connector, not hard to figure that out.

vennsoh
13-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Hey guys,

Good news!
My housemate has managed to get the data off from the drive by soldering fine gauge electrical wires to the individual prongs in the micro usb. Those has to be some mad skills given the fact that micro usb is the smallest among all.

The next thing I will do is to fix the external drive.
I will need to see if my housemate has an idea for that.

Will update.

13-03-2012, 04:57 PM

huh, after all this :p
You want backup drives to be RELIABLE
Get a new one, they arnt very expensive.

Good to hear you got the data off.
Allways nice when the OP comes back & lets us know the final outcome :thumbs:

Agent_24
13-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Get a new socket and solder it in. If you can't find the right one from a local distributer you could try Digikey or such.

vennsoh
13-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I am going to share 2 links.
So far they are the most helpful information I can get when it comes to damaged usb connector on external drive.
It explains clearly what you should do if your data is encrypted or what if your usb is soldered on to the PCB without a SATA connector, etc.

http://forum.hddguru.com/western-digital-mybook-essential-data-recovery-t17398.html
http://community.wdc.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/Bridge-Boards/td-p/353839

Western Digital external hard drives are wreaking havoc around the globe with their lousy usb connectors.

Slankydudl
13-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Couldnt you just take the drive out and put it in a different enclosure?

mikebartnz
13-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Couldnt you just take the drive out and put it in a different enclosure?
Go to goal. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
But do go back and read the posts again.

KarameaDave
14-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Go to gaol. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
But do go back and read the posts again.

Fixed that for you. I should note that all this is news to me.
What an appalling design:(

mikebartnz
14-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Fixed that for you. I should note that all this is news to me.
What an appalling design:(
Bloody stupid spell checker.
Stupid design.
I have an AData CH94 which is quite a nice looking design but I have taken to putting a rubber band around it to give the USB cable connection some protection.

KarameaDave
14-03-2012, 12:40 AM
So, really if you want a reliable external drive then you
should buy a SATA drive and an enclosure and put them together yourself
to avoid vennsohs problem?

Agent_24
14-03-2012, 01:04 AM

As long as you don't buy a cheap one with a crap quality power supply.

Slankydudl
14-03-2012, 07:34 AM
There is a company which sells mac book air hardrives and enclosures for the ssd's it good because one of the hd's is like a stick of ram so they take up like bo space and are fast.

14-03-2012, 11:10 AM

These 3rd party enclosures are often more unreliable.
Hardly anyone pays the extra $$ for a descent one.

dugimodo
14-03-2012, 11:23 AM
These 3rd party enclosures are often more unreliable.
Hardly anyone pays the extra $$ for a descent one.

All true, except when it dies there's a very good chance you can extract the drive and throw the enclosure away without losing anything.
I'd take a WD green drive in a generic enclosure over an external WD drive myself. I had a very nice eSATA + USB2 cooler master enclosure until recently that cost me < $50 and has so far lasted years (gave it to a friend because I wasn't using it).

BBCmicro
14-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I've had several generic enclosures and HDD docks but struck trouble with Advanced Format and USB3 (not necessarily related).

For instance, I coudn't get a Nexstar USB3 dock to work with either a P55A MB or my current Z68XP (possible a "spread spectrum clocking" incompatibility, but who knows)

Now, I'm resolved to buying only "WD portable, 1 TB, USB3", hopefully $180. I figure that WD firmware will sort out all problems