PDA

View Full Version : Best complete backup of programmes and files??Recommendations??

jwig
12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Windows Vista does not offer a complete backup of programmes and files and I wonder what the educated thinking is now about the alternative backup programmes for a very moderate amount of backup (around 4-5 dvds). Having just completed a factory re-instal and the updates and prorammes I think I should do a complete backup but Vista offers files only. I can see from older posts that some backup programmes do not come up to scratch at the restore and re-boot phase. Please gurus, do you have some wise thinking on this topic?

gary67
12-03-2012, 10:41 AM
active@ around $50US but works very well and can backup to network locations, DVD's actually just about to anything and very easy to use. I have found some of the free ones not very good they say they have worked but then when you go to restore them they fail

jwig
12-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks very much Gary67. I've seen other comments about the problems that happen when the restore is needed...hence my question. Your advice is appreciated.

HAL9000
12-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Image of drive probably best bet.

I've not come across a reliable way of backing up a complete Windows system that is able to be restored on to different hardware in the case of catastrophic failure.

linw
12-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Macrium Reflect free is a good imager.

dugimodo
12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Windows 7 has an inbuilt backup program that can create a system image. It's not the fastest by any means but it seems to get the job done and is free. I've restored from one of these backups successfully in the past. I've used acronis with mixed success also, usually it works and is very fast, but occasionally has not restored the image properly for me.

gary67
12-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Windows 7 has an inbuilt backup program that can create a system image. It's not the fastest by any means but it seems to get the job done and is free. I've restored from one of these backups successfully in the past. I've used acronis with mixed success also, usually it works and is very fast, but occasionally has not restored the image properly for me.

OP is using Vista

dugimodo
12-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah, realised that after I posted. Nevermind. Upgrading to 7 gets you a backup option as well as other benefits :)
Does Vista definately not have it? it's not exactly advertised anywhere in windows 7, typing backup in the search box is how I usually launch it.

gary67
12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't know never really had anything to do with Vista, I only know that 7 home premium does not backup over a network which is why I use active@. The ultimate and business versions backup over a network though

wainuitech
12-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Image of drive probably best bet.

I've not come across a reliable way of backing up a complete Windows system that is able to be restored on to different hardware in the case of catastrophic failure. There are some programs about that will allow restores to different hardware, just depends if you want to do a backup that way. Sometimes if the new hardware is close enough to the old, it will install new drivers, and away you go after reactivating windows.

There is one other way I have done a couple of PC's here. Do a fresh install, make backup image using Active@ as gary suggested. To test attach a blank HDD and make sure it has work OK - never had a failure yet. Then run sysprep through it, select shutdown and reinmage again and keep that in a safe place.

The syspreped version will reinstall on any hardware, because sysprep removes system-specific information relating to the host PC Eg: drivers.

jwig
12-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I should have said at the outset that my version of Vista is Home Edition, (sorry for incomplete info ). Higher spec versions of Vista I believe will do backup of programmes and files....but not worth upgrading Vista to a better Vista at this stage.

jwig
12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks very much Wainuitech.....and other responses too...all this is very helpful. Is anyone hanging out for such improvements in Windows 8?

gary67
12-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks very much Wainuitech.....and other responses too...all this is very helpful. Is anyone hanging out for such improvements in Windows 8?

Nope can't afford another upgrade

wainuitech
12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks very much Wainuitech.....and other responses too...all this is very helpful. Is anyone hanging out for such improvements in Windows 8? Window8 has a new backup feature ( + some other nick nacks :) ) , you can back up important (or not so important) files automatically every 10 minutes if desired to various locations.backup-your-documents-and-files (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/09/windows-8-how-to-27-backup-your-documents-and-files.aspx)

Paul.Cov
13-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Easus Todo Backup is a disc imager and backup utility (Free) that I've been playing with.

It allows incremental backups, and the compressed images can be browsed with Explorer as if like any other folder and file tree.

wainuitech
13-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Easus Todo Backup is a disc imager and backup utility (Free) that I've been playing with.

It allows incremental backups, and the compressed images can be browsed with Explorer as if like any other folder and file tree. Have you actually tested the backups to make sure they have worked OK by restoring them ?? Sometimes some programs say they have worked OK, but have actually failed when required. Nothing worse than relying on a backup only to find its been a complete waste of time.

( Gary mentioned this in Post #2)