PDA

View Full Version : Game freezes using DirectX

25-10-2001, 11:32 PM
I have a problem with a PC freezing when playing games that use DirectX.
The PC has a ASUS A7M266 M/B with a 1.2Gb CPU and 128Mb DDR RAM, running Win98SE.

DirectX 8.0a is installed as well as the latest hardware drivers for the sound card (a Soundblaster 5.1 Live) and Graphics Card (a GeForce2 MX400 64Mb). DirectX does not recognise the sound or graphics drivers as being certified, however nVidia claim that their drivers are certified.

When frozen, the screen locks at the last frame, the mouse is frozen, the keyboard won't respond. Also the soundcard infinitely loops/plays the last sound byte (approx 2 seconds worth of sound).

Pure DOS games such as QuakeI do not exhibit this problem.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

25-10-2001, 11:40 PM
It could be caused by your system overheating. I get the same problem in summer when my graphics card starts overheating, and its only an Intel 740.
Does the system lock up in OpenGL games, eg Quake3.

25-10-2001, 11:51 PM
Now that you mention it, MDK2 which uses OpenGL also freezes.
I'm wondering if there is a overheating problem with the DDR RAM (apparently some of the earlier stuff had overtemp problems), however I'd expect other problems if that were the case.
The CPU does seem to be a tad warm at 49degC, but this is after the CPU has been working hard for a while.

26-10-2001, 01:31 AM
I am assuming the motherboard has a VIA chipset in which case just download and install the latest VIA 4 in 1 driver set and see if the problems disappear.

The reason I suggest this is that in the past one particular version VIA cipset had nasty problems with the Soundblaster Live series of cards and your problems sounds similar. Yours is not the same problem but similar enough to give the new chipset drivers a go.

26-10-2001, 10:38 AM
I had the same problems and I've got the same processor but have 256 meg of SD ram, I changed the motherboard settings to remove turbo, and this helped. I also found that if I cracked the games and fully installed them on the harddrive I no longer had this problem, Black and White is one game that was fixed by doing this.

26-10-2001, 01:08 PM
also check what the sb16 emulation is set to. i don't think its the culprit but it is known to cause a few werid faults

26-10-2001, 03:11 PM
You got me interested so I looked around on the net. The forum at www.tweaktown.com, is excellent. For myself I kept blaming alot of probs on Windows ME and video drivers but many are actually related to motherboard problems.

31-10-2001, 01:47 PM
You may also want to check that the GPU on your graphics card is not overheating. I just stuck a 'slot fan' from Dick Smiths under my Asus card and now it doesn't keep losing the picture like it used to.

17-12-2001, 10:22 PM
I have had the same thing occur on a number of games. This has started occuring quite frequently since installing DirectX 8.0a(not that I would ever blame Microsoft for dodgy software) I now going to try DirectX 8.1.