PDA

View Full Version : Server software

BigBadBob
09-03-2012, 09:29 AM
A local business wants to set up a new file/print server in their office using RAID 5.
Would they be better off using Windows Home Server 2011, SBS 2008, or wait for Windows 8 server edition for an OS? They would only ever have a maximum of 10 PC on the network at any given time. Also seeing that Home Server 2011 is only approx one tenth the cost of SBS 2008 what would be the limitations in comparison?

CYaBro
09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Do they need Exchange for emails and calendar sharing etc?
I wouldn't bother with SBS2008 anymore as SBS2011 is out now.
THere is also SBS2011 Essentials which can have up to 25 users and has pretty much the same features as WHS 2011 in regards to backing up workstations.

pcuser42
09-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Don't go with Windows Server 8 as it's still beta software.

BigBadBob
09-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty sure they won't require Exchange and this won't be implemented for a few months yet so maybe Win 8 server may be an option by then. Not too sure of the release date.

gary67
09-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Amahi is linux based and can do it all for free i think you will find, i run it home and the only bit i can't get working yet is the vpn

Alex B
09-03-2012, 10:57 AM
I would go SBS Essentials. I hope you are getting help from someone who has done set ups in the past if this is for a business.....

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 11:21 AM
On and Off topic :D -- just been having a play with Server 8 Its almost idiot proof to setup, the wizard when it first installed really easily walks you through its functions.

Just a couple of screen shots, --- Had to take with a normal camera, couldn't find a screen capture option if its there. The first you can select roles to use then after that allows a lot more in-depth options, second the print server options.

3638 3639

Alex B
09-03-2012, 11:31 AM
The server may be easy to set up, but you still need an understanding of routing, dns, dhcp, user permissions etc etc.

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
True, I was only making a comment that I'm playing about with it at the moment. Hence the comment "On and Off topic "

Just looking at it though it may be a "bit over the top" for a simple file and print server usage - there are plenty of other options.

One question no ones asked --- With the file server options, do you need to have it so only certain people can access certain files or folders, or is it a "free for all" setup ?

BigBadBob
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Any rumours about price or release dates yet? and can you see much advantage compared to WHS 2011, IYO wainuitech?

Alex B
09-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Well you can't use WHS as a DNS server nor AD or DHCP. It's not a product to put in a business environment.

A person from MS told me to work out when it will be released have a look on wiki on the length of time between Server 2008 going from beta to RTM.

If the place isn't in a position to spend the money, maybe a server isn't the answer. Maybe just use a NAS box.

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 12:23 PM
3641I dont run WHS 2011. I run the earlier (Original) version. While I do have 2011,I cant see any need to actually change it to the newer version. But its very much the same usage.

WHS has a 10 user License which cant be increased, so if you are only wanting a file & print server then it would work nicely.

If you wanted more than 10 users in the future then WHS wouldn't really be a good option - you have to do a bit of crystal ball looking to see what may be required later on. if you think you need more users or functions to expand, then get a more purpose OS. Cant really comment to much on Server 8 yet, I'm only playing about with it in between jobs.

No Offence meant here, dont know your skill / knowledge level ------ The permissions for example in WHS are easy to setup for each user, meaning certain users can have all access, read only or no access, its designed for a non technical IT person to make it simple as possible.

An example - This is only some of the folders in my WHS - ( I have blanked out our actual names) but the permissions for my wife and son are not allowing them any access to the drivers folder, theres hundreds and hundreds of drivers in there for god knows how many devices, motherboards etc, I dont want them going in and "playing" -- (mean buggger eh! )

I have not actually tried a RAID 5 setup on WHS, as the version I have has Drive Extender, which works nice for my purposes.

One thing that does work brilliantly is the daily auto backups -- I can tell you now from experience, its saved me countless hours of work on more than one occasion ;) :)

Well you can't use WHS as a DNS server nor AD or DHCP Dont know about AD, but the rest, yes you can - they are just not turned on by default. WHS was built from Server 2003, so the majority of the functions are there, just not enabled.

09-03-2012, 12:34 PM
One question no ones asked --- With the file server options, do you need to have it so only certain people can access certain files or folders, or is it a "free for all" setup ?

I'll add
how many users/PC's
any software that needs to run on this server:check for compatibility
Check the printers will be compatible with the Server OS (shouldn't be an issue)
is there an existing domain controller(server) to be replaced ??
who will have the skills to setup AND MAINTAIN it
why raid5 over a simple mirrored pair . Im thinking cost of SCSI drives here, or a cheaper SATA option
Tape Backup or backup to USB Hard Drive

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 12:39 PM
My bobo Above -- Attachment in the wrong place lol.

PeterQ
09-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Still works

Chilling_Silence
09-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Meh, it's a file & print server, run FreeNAS...

Alex B
09-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Dont know about AD, but the rest, yes you can - they are just not turned on by default. WHS was built from Server 2003, so the majority of the functions are there, just not enabled.

Well yes, you can dcpromo it, it's built on SBS 2003 - but it's not supported or able to be licensed. I kind of look at it from the perspective that when OP is no longer around or it all gets a bit over his head, are you going to be able to call a tech in and fix the thing easily and quickly, or is the tech going to have to work his way through 300 half working rangi fixes? Especially when it's someone's bushiness/means of living.

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Depends on if its been setup as standard.

That goes for any server no matter what edition, they can all be setup different ways to perform different tasks.

If the person following behind (so to speak) doesn't know whats been done in the past then they would have to find out.

Any good IT person setting up and doing the work would document whats been done and kept in a safe location. Whose to say the person doing the original setup couldn't have an accident and be killed. if theres no documentation its anyones guess sometimes.

I've been to places where someone has put in passwords on servers or PC's and no one has a damn clue what they are -- just as well theres software to blow away or change passwords, even on servers without actually having to know the originals. With the right software only takes a minute or two to get in.

09-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I've been to places where someone has put in passwords on servers or PC's and no one has a damn clue what they are -- just as well theres software to blow away or change passwords, even on servers without actually having to know the originals. With the right software only takes a minute or two to get in.

Thats handy to know.
I allways wondered if those password reset CD's would actually work on servers.
Or is there a special one for servers ?? - Ive used the Lin based reset CD on many a XP/Vista PC

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I use ERD commander (the old name) which is part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack All the Guff about it (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/mdop/default.aspx) has a program called locksmith, you boot from the CD navigate to locksmith Select the account you want, either Administrator or any other account on the machine, type in a new password, reboot, it prompts you to change the new password once you entered it, change it to something new and away you go.

No need to know the original old password.

It works on servers and any other Windows OS. Just booted CD on Server 8 and changed that ( just a test) all sweet.

Pictures of what i mean:

3642 3643

Alex B
09-03-2012, 04:09 PM
It work on domain accounts or just local?

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Only ever done it on a Local PC or Server. I use it to get into machines that people forget the passwords, or someone who managed them,left and didn't leave any documentation regarding passwords etc and of course no one knows the passwords. Once in though you can then go and change what ever you want as normal ( if theres any such thing as normal :) ) as long as you log in as administrator ( on servers)

Get it all the time with customers PC that I have to take to the workshop, ask them if theres a password when you first start it -- no is the general answer, then low and behold, grrrrr :badpc: Easier to blow it away sometimes.

Also got other software that can actually remove the password completely, but never tried that on a server.

The software can do many things, password altering is only a fraction of it.

fred_fish
09-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Passwords are usually just a speed bump if you have physical access to the machine, but the increasing use of disk encryption makes for some funny conversations when things go pear shaped.

Punter: "Whaddaya mean you can't unlock that?"
Tech: "Just nuke it and restore from your backups, you DO have backups?"
Punter: "Yes, but ... I encrypted them too."
Tech: "And the keys are ... on the drive you can't get into?"
Punter: " .... "