PDA

View Full Version : DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISC.....

straka01
09-03-2012, 07:17 AM
I've been using the same Gigabyte MB/Celeron 2.66mhz PC for about 5yrs.
It has two physical HDDs partitioned in two each.
Using fully updated XP Pro, it's been going well - no problems.
Well, that is until this morning.
Turned it on & I got the 'BOOT DISC FAILURE' message.
Checked the CMOS & it sees both HDDs.

Could members suggest what may have gone wrong & ways to check?

Many thanks to all.

dugimodo
09-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Your hard drive could have either failed or gotten corrupted, or maybe a connection has worked loose. First try unplugging it from the mains for 5 mins then try again, occasionally that works.
Take the side off and check all the connections are good, sometimes unplugging and replugging can be worthwhile to displace dust etc.
Boot off your XP disk assuming you have one and run CHKDSK C: /R from the command prompt to see if that finds anything (sorry I forget the option to get to a dos prompt from the install CD but it shouldn't be too hard to do). Note the drive letters sometimes are different under a dos prompt so it may not be C:

Trev
09-03-2012, 07:43 AM
dugimodo beat me too it.
:)

09-03-2012, 09:14 AM
It could be trying to boot from the wrong HD
Disconnect the 2nd HD & try again.

Paul.Cov
09-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah, and it might also be referring to removable media (CD / DVD / USB drive / USB stick).

Remove all removable media and try it once again.

straka01
10-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi Dugimodo
Many thanks for your advice.
I got it going again after reseating the sata drives connections, disconnecting the zip & floppy drives (which I never use anyway) & also taking out the MB battery for a while. Don't exactly know which one fixed it - but there you go.
One thing - I was mystified when I first reset the CMOS to FAILSAFE DEFAULTS that after that I didn't seem to have any HDDs connected. DUH! Then I remembered to change the IDE / SATA CMOS setting to Auuto & away it went.

Again, many thanks & have a great day.
Cheers