PDA

View Full Version : Need confirmation.

katharinem
08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I am having trouble setting up Windows Live MAil on a friend's computer running Windows 7. I have done a little research and it seems that I cannot use Outlook Express 6, from Microsoft Office 2000,(I have the Office cds) on Windows 7. Is this correct? Will I have to persist with Windows Live Mail? I have set the latter up correctly on another notebook and it works well sending and receiving mail on both the hotmail and xtra.co.nz addresses. The PC however, is not able to send emails but can only receive them on xtra.co.nz. It sends and receives on his hotmail address. I had xtra.co.nz address, set as the default. Appreciate your help.

08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Yes & no
There is no Outlook Express on Win7 ,
There is no Outlook Express on Office (just a very old ver of Outlook)

But bottom line is you cant install Outlook Express or Outlook2000 on Win7.
You will have to use Live Mail, or maybee Thunderbird (email client)
Sending through xtra.co.nz's will work IF its setup correctly. You will just have one of the settings wrong in there.
Is your home ISP still xtra ??

linw
08-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Outlook Express is not aval on Win7, as you surmise.

There are alternatives to Windows Live Mail such as Thunderbird but it seems that WLM is not set up properly for SMTP (sending).

How is the smtp server set up?

---Snap, 1101!

wainuitech
08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
It sometimes depends on how the mail is setup with WLM -- If you allow it to try and do the auto setup, 99.9% of the time it gets it wrong.

Make sure the settings for the smtp are correct. Dont use the secure login either, that often screws things up, use the defaults on 110 & 25.

Just make sure the smtp address is right, I set one up yesterday and by mistake hit the wrong key which stuffed up the smtp.

It was meant to be smtp.xtra.co.nz by mistake I hit the "," key as well as the "." at the same time so it actually read smtp.xtra,.co.nz it was hard to spot at first.

I've set up WLM on W7 with xtra more times than I can remember and as long as the settings are correct it has always worked.

BTW, office 2000 does work on W7, just not very well, Outlook does have problems.