PDA

View Full Version : Download manager?

Cicero
08-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Do we have a favourite manager?

Thanks lads.

Trev
08-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Getright or DAP = Download Accelerator Plus. I have tried various Download Managers over the years and they all do much of the same thing. I use Getright because I paid for it many years ago.
:)

Cicero
08-03-2012, 09:21 AM
There is one that appears by magic at some stage, it is quite good, but not at all sure from whence it comes.

nedkelly
08-03-2012, 09:23 AM
I use orbit on pc and folx on Mac

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I keep Firefox Portable installed *purely* for DownThemAll. It's the best :D

nedkelly
08-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I keep Firefox Portable installed *purely* for DownThemAll. It's the best :D
I agree with chill, one of the only things my Firefox installs get is that.

Trev
08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
People make me laugh when they say something is the best. Have you tried all other download managers ? answer is probably no.

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2012, 12:41 PM
People make me laugh when they say something is the best. Have you tried all other download managers ? answer is probably no.

Yes, every single one there ever was, is, and ever will be.

dugimodo
08-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I'll probably be in the minority, but I find IE9's download management perfectly adequate most of the time. It allows you to pause and resume downloads which is the main thing for me. The only time it fails for me is resuming a file when the source needs authentication, getright which I used to use allowed you to store the user name and password of download sites so it didn't have this issue.

I know people have various good reasons to prefer other browsers, but I have no problem with IE9.

Clod
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Im happy with Free Download Manager for some reason its faster for me than JDownloader which I tried.

Agent_24
08-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Im happy with Free Download Manager for some reason its faster for me than JDownloader which I tried.

Next best thing to Getright which was my favourite.

Aria2 is also pretty good, feature-wise, but it's CLI.

Anything that's free and can download a file from multiple different servers at the same time is good in my book. Most can't do that.

wainuitech
08-03-2012, 08:08 PM
One that a customer of mine uses is internetdownloadmanager (http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/), its not free, but does have a 30 day trial.

I was watching him download some files, and to be honest it was the quickest manger I have seen. It was getting the files from various locations - and no they weren't illegal ones either.

It does a dam good job of capturing any video from any source.

Also must agree with dugimodo, IE's download does a good job, on average its no slower than any other manager, in fact some times its faster.

The only actual manager I generally use is the one that you use when getting downloads from Microsofts technet.

Greven
08-03-2012, 10:50 PM
DownThemAll is awesome. I do not like the free versions of Download Accelerator Plus or Getright.

Davoid
09-03-2012, 06:04 AM
+1 for Internet download manager, have tried others but now use only this and it works great.

Cicero
09-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Th I/E 9 one has arrived and find it does the job.

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Th I/E 9 one has arrived and find it does the job. Not to sure if reading that corrctly or as meant ??? I/E 9 ?? All browsers have download options, there is no 'extra" one to add in, the others mentioned are all separate programs or plugin ??

This is the IE 9 one:

Trev
09-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Basicly I like a download manager because they can download a file from more than one server at once. I quite often download files from the UK and using FF to download them only get a speed of about 150kbs but downloading the same file say using Getright which allows you to connect up to more than one server, which I have it set to download form 4 servers at once, I get a speed of about 400kbs.

Cicero
09-03-2012, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;1081054]Not to sure if reading that corrctly or as meant ??? I/E 9 ?? All browsers have download options, there is no 'extra" one to add in, the others mentioned are all separate programs or plugin ??

This is the IE 9 one:
3634[/QUOTE
Internet Explorer 9, which I just loaded came with downloader which appears on one line at bottom of page each time you go to download, 8 didn't have it, or if it did it kept well hidden.

Cicero
09-03-2012, 10:47 AM
This is pic of said item3637

Agent_24
09-03-2012, 11:48 AM
That's not a downloader. It's just the message asking if you want to save or run which has been there in all versions of IE just used to be a dialog box instead of a message down the bottom...

Cicero
09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
That's not a downloader. It's just the message asking if you want to save or run which has been there in all versions of IE just used to be a dialog box instead of a message down the bottom...

Bugger me, how about that.

All I want is to see what is happening once download begins.

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Thats not to bad then, for a moment I thought some rouge program may have been trying to install.

To view any downloads as they are coming through, on the right of the bar along the bottom it has the words " view Downloads", if you click that a windows like the one I posted will show. That shows the actual download, speed, and any options ( pause etc)

Cicero
09-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Thats not to bad then, for a moment I thought some rouge program may have been trying to install.

To view any downloads as they are coming through, on the right of the bar along the bottom it has the words " view Downloads", if you click that a windows like the one I posted will show. That shows the actual download, speed, and any options ( pause etc)

Thanks Wai, nice to know we can always count on you.

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 02:10 PM
:) Alarm bells kind of rang a little by the wording in Post 3

There is one that appears by magic at some stage, it is quite good, but not at all sure from whence it comes. Thats the actions of malware as well. ( which obviously its not in this case)

Agent_24
09-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Is that a program that speaks in French and makes parts of your screen red? :p

Richard
09-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Is that a program that speaks in French and makes parts of your screen red? :p

Ha ha! Thank God then it's not bleu!

Cicero
09-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Well thats's Rich's french used up!