PDA

View Full Version : Windows Drivers - esp. Laptops

Myth
08-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Does anyone know of some good (pref free) sites where one can find windows drivers. Quite often I am finding that the manufacturer sites are missing some or have the odd faulty one.

I used to use driverguide but that site is now charging for their drivers

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Unless you want to pay or get infected, I wouldnt download drivers from anywhere else. If you know what the device is (ie: Realtek / broaddcom / whatever), search for it then download it from the maker of the device

08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Unless you want to pay or get infected, I

+1 . Those sites should allways be the last resort only.

But I agree, the driver download pages for some laptops & PC's is shockingly poor....take note HP
eg: 4 completely different chip drivers to choose for network , 3 for wifi driver, 3 for vid driver etc etc
dont manufacturers know what is in that exact model ?? Dell can get it right, why cant others
Whats that HP, this HP model doesnt exist. Oh I see, youve hidden it because my Region on your webpage was set to NZ (change to US & that model is suddenly found in the search)

rant over :annoyed:

Alex B
08-03-2012, 12:04 PM
And I haven't been about to download from the HP FTP for the last 2 days, might just be me all the same.

mzee
08-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I use "Driver Detective". cans the computer then searches the Internet and replaces them. MS Security checks the files on the way in. Costs a few $ to register it, but well worth it.

If you are replacing an existing OS which is dead, make an Acronis image of it. When you have the new OS running, mount the Image fie as a drive and use it to update the drivers.

Myth
08-03-2012, 07:33 PM
I use "Driver Detective". cans the computer then searches the Internet and replaces them. MS Security checks the files on the way in. Costs a few $ to register it, but well worth it.

If you are replacing an existing OS which is dead, make an Acronis image of it. When you have the new OS running, mount the Image fie as a drive and use it to update the drivers.Thats all well and good; but what if its the network driver you're having troubles with?

mzee
09-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Thats all well and good; but what if its the network driver you're having troubles with?

That is why I made an Image of the original OS which was dead!

wainuitech
09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Thats all well and good; but what if its the network driver you're having troubles with? Refer back to Speedys comment earlier in this thread. You'll find the majority of drivers are available from the actual manufactures, Realtek etc.

If a device is shown as unknown, then right click it/Properties/Details, select hardware ID from the drop down list, it will give a description which you can do a google search from another computer and generally locate the driver.

Classic example -- Today I was looking for a driver for a IBM laptop, did a search and it came up with Lenovo's site, (lenovo have taken over IBM) and it found it instantly by the Hardware ID. It was actually a power management driver.

Theres always ways -- Personally I'd never use any sort of driver locater, god knows what they could be downloading.

I've seen some of them download various drivers and totally screw the OS. In fact there was a thread here last week I think it was, someone did exactly that with audio.

Myth
10-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Seems that Toshiba seem to be a law unto themselves :\

Anyway, somehow all resolved (primarily thanks to a bit of searching; and then Windows Updates)

Would greatly help if there was a site that users uploaded their driver discs to; and others could grab them.

Greven
10-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I've seen Driver Detective make a huge mess of a lot computers i have fixed because it installs the wrong drivers.