PDA

View Full Version : Any recommended Tablets by you guys?

sportsboy83
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Have been helping a mate explore the world of Tablets...and after ages of flip flopping, he is now waiting for Ipad 3...and now its my turn..

I'm a android boy, and i've been looking at the Galaxy 32gb Tablet - for $949 at HN, but the downside is, it doesnt have 3G unless u plug in an external USB modem and of course the price lol.

But thought I'd ask on here...If theres any recommended tablets around for $500-600 bucks (or less LOL)? I am happy to get the tablet from overseas if exchange rate if favourable. I am not a "brand" boy, so not into the whole must be "Apple" or "Samsung" etc

Will be used for uni studies - carrying a laptop around is too chunky, and I already use android phone to use the apps with some children I work with as part of my studies so it will definately be used.

More GBs HDD the better, have noticed most are around 16gb-32gb...must have wifi - and 3G would be a bonus... and must have USB ports...

Look forward to seeing your recommendations

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-64gb-3g-tablet.html This is the tablet mentioned above- this is the 3G version

DeSade
07-03-2012, 01:58 PM
I like the slider myself, going to get one eventually.
No idea of pricing. Think you have to import it.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Slider_SL101/

wratterus
07-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Acer Iconia is worth looking at.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2012, 03:45 PM
I didn't like the keyboard on the Slider vs the Transformer, but YMMV, it's still worth a look. The Transformer is also quite nice. Iconia is in the same price point but it felt more 'industrial' to me, it had some benefits like the ability to send / receive SMS messages on the 3G models whereas the Xoom and the Lenovo Tab weren't able to do that.

Personally I'd go the Transformer Tab (I have one) or the Iconia.

sportsboy83
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
I didn't like the keyboard on the Slider vs the Transformer, but YMMV, it's still worth a look. The Transformer is also quite nice. Iconia is in the same price point but it felt more 'industrial' to me, it had some benefits like the ability to send / receive SMS messages on the 3G models whereas the Xoom and the Lenovo Tab weren't able to do that.

Transformer - 16gb - do you find that enough space for you? what do u use it for?
saw that it doesnt have a USB port...hmmm

inphinity
07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
You can get a 32GB transformer, plus it has a MicroSD slot for an extra 32GB MicroSD card. Plus if you get the docking keyboard it adds another SD slot and two USB ports. But to be honest 16 - 32GB is a massive amoutn of space really - what are you expecting to take up so much space?

The Eee Slate is pretty damned awesome, too, but it runs Windows 7 not Android, so may not be to your liking.

Personally I don't like the Slider quite as much as the Transformer / Prime, but it is a more convenient formfactor for some uses, and of course has the USB port.

Acer's Iconia is a great tablet, and available in a 3G version, and I'm pretty sure the 3G version has a USB port. No cool keyboard dock like the Transformer though ;)

Note that if you have an Android phone, you should be able to share your phone's 3G connection to the tablet via wifi (thus avoiding paying for two mobile connections).

DeSade
07-03-2012, 04:34 PM

Have you used a slider?
Where did you get it from?

gary67
07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I find Diclofanac works for me :D

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Used the Slider at PBTech, was allowed to walk around the store with it for half an hour, as well as sitting down for about 10 minutes while ordering (I do a LOT through them so they know me enough to trust me).

Transformer has MicroSD built in. Dock has 2x USB ports and full sized SD as well.
16GB is *heaps*, I have almost 150 apps, including some massive games. On top of that I've got about 3 movies, quite a bit of music, and the music I don't have on there I can stream through Google Music (Uploaded 10GB worth to it, will do the other hundred-odd later).

sportsboy83
07-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks for your info on this transformer...It looks quite good - and I do have an Android phone - so that sounds quite good being able to share the 3g connection even if transformer doesnt have 3G...

Just to confirm - is this the one you're talking about http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8113/10-1-quot-eee-pad-wifi-32gb-tablet-with-keyboard-docking-station as for that price - its one hell of a product!!...

Is it upgradable to Icecream Sandwich Android version?

And its nice knowing its also able to take anotehr 32gb if required - I know 32gb sounds like heaps from waht you've said, but i'm not wanting to spend $$ and be restricted to a certain size of space - but knowing you can upgrade via SD card does ease my mind.

Renmoo
07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I find Diclofanac works for me :D
*Diclofenac :p

lakewoodlady
07-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I have a transformer droid, works fine although only wi-fi, with my android smartphone though it can connect to wi-fi hotspot easily. Mine is 16 GB and has an sd card slot to add storage. Has Ice cream sandwich upgrade on it.

LL

gary67
08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
*Diclofenac :p

See all that education you got wasn't wasted