PDA

View Full Version : Ipad 3 ????

Nhashon
06-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Whose keen to buy or whose excited for Ipad 3 arrival ??? . If you're not an Ipad fan , what other tablet are you more exicted about this year , for me i would go for samsung galaxy 2 , it looks to lead the market this year .

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2012, 11:36 AM
You mean the Galaxy Tab 2?

I'm more interested in the next generation put out by Asus, like the Padfone...

inphinity
06-03-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm more excited by which toy Roly dog comes with the Purex toilet paper than the ipad 3. The likes of the Asus Transformer series and Acer Iconia Tab are, imo, much better in nearly every way.

wainuitech
06-03-2012, 12:05 PM
The Apple fans will be all going gaga - the best thing since the last apple gadget that costs an arm and a leg. ;)

Wouldn't be getting one, I'd rather get a Android tablet. -- In fact its on the cards, and not a ASUS either ;)

psycik
06-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Having switched from nokia to iPhone - and owning an Apple TV - I'll be looking at the iPad 3 and hopefully an Apple TV 3 that can deal with our 1080i Freeview (the current one hasn't enough video capabilities for it).

1 apple device in a household is negilable, but when you start pairing them up, they do work really well. I always thought I'd get an android tablet as I already had one IOS device....but the lack of standardisation, the fragmentation of the OS and even playing with a few in the store has put me off them.

Also - on android - where can you legally (LEGALLY) get tv shows? In Apple land I can - no proxies required.

paulw
06-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Having switched from nokia to iPhone - and owning an Apple TV - I'll be looking at the iPad 3 and hopefully an Apple TV 3 that can deal with our 1080i Freeview (the current one hasn't enough video capabilities for it).

1 apple device in a household is negilable, but when you start pairing them up, they do work really well. I always thought I'd get an android tablet as I already had one IOS device....but the lack of standardisation, the fragmentation of the OS and even playing with a few in the store has put me off them.

Also - on android - where can you legally (LEGALLY) get tv shows? In Apple land I can - no proxies required.

Only with a dubious US iTunes account..

Metla
06-03-2012, 12:42 PM
I feel much cleaner now I'm on an Android phone and tablet.....

God, Its good to be able to just copy/paste my music over.

psycik
06-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Only with a dubious US iTunes account..

Less dubious that VPN's for Hulu/Netflix access. But I agree against T&C's - but I'd hazard not illegal.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2012, 10:30 PM
but the lack of standardisation, the fragmentation of the OS

Fragmentation is a load of bullshit. It works fine for Windows, they dominate over 90% of the PC market, and you don't see PC software writers complaining?

Lack of standardization? Again, I rest my case... Those are lame excuses and I'm over people using them. Stupid catch-phrases that are good to sell a story to the ignorant masses but hold bugger all actual weight. iOS is just as "fragmented". See iOS4 on an iPhone? or an iPhone 3G? No? What about the screen resolution, compare the iPhone vs the iPhone 4 vs the iPad vs the iPad 3's proposed resolution. Standardization? No. The tablet and the phone aren't even in the same bloody aspect ratio, how "non-standard" can you get?!

On top of that, you're only allowed to view those shows if you're a citizen of the US, so again while you're paying for it, you're paying for the comfort of downloading through iTunes, not for the legality. Android is in the same boat in that respect.

psycik
07-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Hardware accessory standardisation. Eg the use of the dock connector and air play (granted AirPlay could be allow and has been added to non apple devices. The android players need to standardise on a range of hardware connection for accessories for car stereos clocks, stereos etc.

Re fragmentation I'm talking about carriers/handset makers not having ics on every device. The 3gs and up phones can still run ios5 - how many android phones brought out in the equivalent time period
Can say the same? Without rooting (as you don't have to JB a 3GS to get ios 5 on it)

I sayin for me I'd way to use the accessories I've already Invested in (car stereo, clock radio) and e able to load the latest and greatest os (within reason) to take advantage on the features. With android I may be able to do this if both phone and tablet were the same manufacturer but most likely not.

psycik
07-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Oh re the iTunes "comfort " thing - but isn't that part of the whole experience? Being able to buy media (music tv or movies) from my phone, tablet or pc an have them all accessible - again within reason, they're drm'd do usable on up to 5 devices - no more - an annoyance sure, but better than nothing.

But that issue is more about the contet providers than the mobile os. there's nothing stopping say amazon from doing the same thing.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2012, 06:58 AM
You can't get much more standard than MicroUSB or the 3.5mm headphone jack...

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Righto, and now I'm not on my phone replying with sleepy dust in my eyes still, lets look at your other points:
1) Copyright infringement is still copyright infringement, regardless of how you feel about it. It's not a grey area, it's either legal or its not.
The whole iTunes "integration" is a hindrance more than anything. You can't copy music off your phone to your PC, you have to do a "sync". Ever tried viewing your movie on something that *isn't* an Apple TV, like a WDTV, or an ACRyan PlayOn? Can't do it.What's a *real* experience is hitting the button on your browser, it's instantly installed over-the-air to your phone, or tablet, but then also being able to use that music from your PC... Or from a friends PC while you're staying overseas with them... Or at a Party and need something good to listen to. iTunes is nothing special.

2) Fragmentation
Aside from the fact that Apple has always been unique in this area (And props to them, if it works for them then good on them, but don't try and shove their motto down everybody elses throat when clearly it's a unique way of life for a select few), you're ignoring a few facts here:
a) Computers have always been 'fragmented' in the area that you argue. Time between XP and Vista was 6 years. When Vista came out, was every XP PC suddenly "obsolete"? Could Vista do things that XP couldn't? What about when my friends Nokia 3310 was surpassed by the newer 3315, does that mean that his phone can no longer make calls or send SMS messages? No that's fine if it works for apple and they want to release a single phone each year, good for them, but it doesn't make their way "right", nor does it mean everybody else ought to immitate them. I don't see iOS5 on the original iPhone, or the iPhone 3G, and it runs like ass on the 3GS. Fragmentation coz they can't all run it?
b) Everything "New" and "great" and "fantastic" and "amazing" about iOS5, Android has had for a long time. Take for example one of their most touted features, the ability to share with Twitter. Android can not only share with Twitter, but MySpace, Facebook, Google+, Wordpress, Bluetooth, TweetDeck, and a myriad of other applications and services too. What about Notifications? How is that not a direct imitation of something Android has had all along for years now? Launching applications direct from your lockscreen? Again, old news. iMessage? Nah we've had GoogleTalk since way back in the beginning too. LED Notifications? Nup had that for 2 years on my Nexus One.

Which brings me to this question:
Why does this supposed "fragmentation" matter? Does it really matter if my Cellphone doesn't instantly run the latest OS version (Or heck maybe I bought a $150 phone from Vodafone that will never get upgraded)? Does that suddenly make my phone useless? Does it prevent it from working? When Vista or Win7 came out, did it mean that users running XP should feel bad about their computer? Or is this forced upgrade more of a "lemming" mentality that's been brainwashed into users by a very clever marketing man? Compared to iOS5, if a user never upgrades from Froyo to Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwhich, are they actually missing out on a lot?

Or, should they just remain content with what they already have, knowing that their phone which is still 2 years old is only just being "caught up to" by a supposed "industry leader" with their pride and joy device that they spend literally a whole year making one upgrade for, and yet still don't do anything overly exciting with?

Great for you if you like to be told precisely how and when and on what devices you can listen to your music, but not here.

In other news the supposed resolution of the iPad3 is going to have a nice resolution (And I'm being genuine here), 2048x1536. Problem is that's now 2048x1536, 1024x768, 480x320 & 960x640. That's not standardization, that's fragmentation. Better jump ship while you can to Windows Phone 7, the fragmentation of iOS might just blow your mind ;)

sam m
07-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Nice post Chill. Based on this - I'm buying an Ipad3.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks, I thought so too. Just doing my part to rid the world of false information one post at a time ;-)

gary67
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Oh re the iTunes "comfort " thing - but isn't that part of the whole experience? Being able to buy media (music tv or movies) from my phone, tablet or pc an have them all accessible - again within reason, they're drm'd do usable on up to 5 devices - no more - an annoyance sure, but better than nothing.

But that issue is more about the contet providers than the mobile os. there's nothing stopping say amazon from doing the same thing.

Pity they rip everyone off by selling the music as crap MP3 but still charging a premium for it

plod
07-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Fragmentation is a load of bullshit. It works fine for Windows, they dominate over 90% of the PC market, and you don't see PC software writers complaining?

Lack of standardization? Again, I rest my case... Those are lame excuses and I'm over people using them. Stupid catch-phrases that are good to sell a story to the ignorant masses but hold bugger all actual weight. iOS is just as "fragmented". See iOS4 on an iPhone? or an iPhone 3G? No? What about the screen resolution, compare the iPhone vs the iPhone 4 vs the iPad vs the iPad 3's proposed resolution. Standardization? No. The tablet and the phone aren't even in the same bloody aspect ratio, how "non-standard" can you get?!

On top of that, you're only allowed to view those shows if you're a citizen of the US, so again while you're paying for it, you're paying for the comfort of downloading through iTunes, not for the legality. Android is in the same boat in that respect.Would just like to point out that ios4 Apis take care of the different screen resolutions in the different iPhones. So the developer is still only doing it once. As the 4 and4s are exactly double the resolution of the 3. As I don't have a direct line with apple I can't tell you if this is how their are going to handle the new iPad. You are right, no ios4 on the original and 3G. But every current iPhone being sold can run the latest and is being sold with the latest os. Now I dont blame android(google) for the state android is in, that is what happens when you are open. The current mess of android is the manufactors fault. We have phones being released now or due for release that will never run ics, some that will when manufactors decide on releasing upgrade. As of now we have devices being sold and released with a total of 4 different OS,s 2.2, 2.3,3.0 and 4.0.

Metla
07-03-2012, 05:24 PM
The current mess of android is the manufactors fault. We have phones being released now or due for release that will never run ics, some that will when manufactors decide on releasing upgrade. As of now we have devices being sold and released with a total of 4 different OS,s 2.2, 2.3,3.0 and 4.0.

So?

The phones capabilities are reflected in the price, and they all run the OS they ship with perfectly fine. I'd assume that the vast majority of users don't care in the slightest what release number is attributed to some software they don't care about.

I'd even go as far as to say most Android phone users have no great understanding about what Android even refers to, never mind how that relates to an ice cream snack.

A $300 Android phone is a great bit of kit.

plod
07-03-2012, 05:32 PM
So?

The phones capabilities are reflected in the price, and they all run the OS they ship with perfectly fine. I'd assume that the vast majority of users don't care in the slightest what release number is attributed to some software they don't care about.

I'd even go as far as to say most Android phone users have no great understanding about what Android even refers to, never mind how that relates to an ice cream snack.

A $300 Android phone is a great bit of kit.So? Was only correcting a few points of chills.

icow
07-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Pity they rip everyone off by selling the music as crap MP3 but still charging a premium for it

Yeah the itunes store is bad. Movie and app prices are ok though.

plod
07-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Pity they rip everyone off by selling the music as crap MP3 but still charging a premium for itAnd the alternative is? And just to correct you it's AAC not mp3

gary67
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
And the alternative is? And just to correct you it's AAC not mp3

that's the problem there is no legal alternative which is why I still buy CD's. I wouldn't drive an inferior car or drink inferior beer so why do they think I want to buy inferior music files? Wonder if they pay the artists less for a crap download compared to a CD sale bet they try to

plod
07-03-2012, 06:43 PM
that's the problem there is no legal alternative which is why I still buy CD's. I wouldn't drive an inferior car or drink inferior beer so why do they think I want to buy inferior music files? Wonder if they pay the artists less for a crap download compared to a CD sale bet they try toWell if you were really worried about the quality you would probably give CDs a miss as well and stick to lps and live performance's.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah except Android does exactly the same thing in terms of handling the multiple resolutions as iOS, so that's a moot point from either side of the fence ;)

plod
07-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Yeah except Android does exactly the same thing in terms of handling the multiple resolutions as iOS, so that's a moot point from either side of the fence ;)So why mention it? Very unlike you chill not to do your homework before spouting off misconceptions. Oh by the way, I dont disagree with a lot in your post. But some of us like our walled garden. Looks like windows users will be joining us shortly

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
No I've done my homework, but what I'm arguing that iOS is no less or more fragmented than Android is, yet Android gets the label, whereas the 'walled garden' is supposedly immune.

Metla
07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Well if you were really worried about the quality you would probably give CDs a miss as well and stick to lps and live performance's.

If that were practicable then I would, However the car record players jumps constantly and I've had a hard time convincing the band to follow me on my bike....

I do value quality and there is no way I'm prepared to pay a premium for digital tracks, I'm not though expecting anyone to care.

LMFAO.

I will as always pick the solutions that meets my needs best,and that isn't a record player, a live performance or a grossly inflated price for a poor quality digital track.

plod
07-03-2012, 07:25 PM
If that were practicable then I would, However the car record players jumps constantly and I've had a hard time convincing the band to follow me on my bike....

I do value quality and there is no way I'm prepared to pay a premium for digital tracks, I'm not though expecting anyone to care.

LMFAO.

I will as always pick the solutions that meets my needs best,and that isn't a record player, a live performance or a grossly inflated price for a poor quality digital track.Bingo Metla, I still buy CDs and rip them myself. Just don't see the point in complaining about the alternatives when their are the best their can possibly be within the rules set.

Metla
07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Just to be anal I only buy 2nd hand cds....

plod
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
I only buy from the warehouse.

gary67
08-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Just don't see the point in complaining about the alternatives when their are the best their can possibly be within the rules set.

No they are not the best they can be, they are the best the clowns will release. The rules will allow them to release as .flac yet they won't