PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Question - multiple os on multiple Hard drives.

afe66
05-03-2012, 10:06 PM
My main pc runs W7-64 Home with a dual boot option into ubuntu. (same hard drive)

There are some games that I wish to still play which I wish to run in XP for which I still have a license somewhere.

Is there any reason why I couldnt install an extra hard drive, change the boot order and install xp and programs onto it and then when every I want to use XP, change the boot order so it loads up XP hard drive (instead of W7).
Wouldnt this give me essentialy two separate independent systems which share the components without ever meeting each other.
I realise there are virtual machines and virtual xp modes within W7 but I'd rather have all the resources available for the XP "box".

??thoughts

A.

nedkelly
05-03-2012, 10:27 PM
From personal experience it is a pain in the backside when you already have 2 os installed and want to do a 3rd, but it is easier to do with ubuntu installed if you are using its boot loader, you will need to install xp and then repair the 7 bootloader and manually add the xp os to it.

dugimodo
06-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Yes you can do what you suggest, to be safe I'd disconnect the existing boot drive when installing XP to make sure it doesn't mess with your existing setup but otherwise yes. Once installed if you wanted to you could boot back into windows 7 and use easyBCD to add XP to windows 7 boot menu which is more or less what ned was saying except you shouldn't need to repair the bootloader if you do a clean install to another drive. You'd probably end up with 2 menus to go through, the initial ubuntu/ windows one plus a second windows 7/xp menu.

BBCmicro
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Is there any reason why I couldnt install an extra hard drive, change the boot order and install xp and programs onto it and then when every I want to use XP, change the boot order so it loads up XP hard drive (instead of W7
It's what I do. Except that I have RAID on Win7 (for Intel's disc cache tech) and not on XP. Every now and then I forget to reset RAID when going back to Win7 and it's not pretty (the RAID is on the system drive for quick booting)

mikebartnz
06-03-2012, 12:41 PM
In my opinion you would be better installing XP to the new HD and then update the grub boot loader otherwise you are going to have to go into the bios to change the boot order anytime you wanted to switch between the HD's rather than just have the one choice on booting.

Rod J
06-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I agree with mikebartnz ... boot into Ubuntu after installing XP on the new hard drive and run "sudo update-grub" in a terminal. Grub will find both versions of Windows and you should see them in the grub boot menu at start up.