PDA

View Full Version : Word Document

Kaycee
05-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Documents on a thumb drive were backed up to disk for a neighbhour ... please keep it in a safe place. Neighbour now requires a document but cant find the disk (grrrt). Have done recuva on the thumb drive, have the document but word 2000 wont open it. I did come up with an error mswrd632 ...but that doesnt happen anymore. Is there a kind heart sole who can help with getting this document open. Many thanks to those wonderful helpers

lakewoodlady
05-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Right click, Open with? Maybe wordpad?

LL

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
You may have to do this (http://helpdeskgeek.com/office-tips/word-cannot-start-the-converter-mswrd632-wpc/). If that's the error you're / they're seeing

mikebartnz
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
You never know but it would be worth trying LibreOffice to see if it can open it.

Kaycee
05-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Still double dutch with wordpad. Will try LibreOffice

Paul.Cov
05-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Take a COPY of the file, rename it to .Txt extension, then have a look at it with Wordpad.

Any embedded formatting, pictures etc will be garbled, but the original text MIGHT be legible.

Alternative - see if you can get MS Office Application Recovery to deal to the document... or some equivalent App in the Office Tools folder.

Kaycee
05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
No luck with .Txt ... and no luck with LibreOffice :(

Billy T
05-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I have had success with corrupted files in similar circumstances using the ZTree file viewer. I was able to extract lines of text from a mess of code-like symbols etc that no text editor program could resolve. Problem is, if you are not familiar with ZTree you don't stand a chance of fluking it. If you hit a brick wall, pm me and I'll send an email address to send a copy of the file to, and I'll give it a go. It might be possible to recover enough to reconstruct the original. Can't make it any worse.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pctek
06-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Pull everything out of cupboards etc. Find disk.

Lurking
06-03-2012, 12:41 PM
http://helpdeskgeek.com/office-tips/word-cannot-start-the-converter-mswrd632-wpc/

Whenever the user clicked the OK button, it would simply pop back up. What was really weird is that if she clicked on the red X button, the document would open just fine! Strange!

mzee
07-03-2012, 06:31 PM
What format was the document saved in?
Tried Open Office?

There is a compatibility patch for Word, download from Microsoft.

mikebartnz
07-03-2012, 07:25 PM
What format was the document saved in?
Tried Open Office?

There is a compatibility patch for Word, download from Microsoft.
You have more chance of opening something with LibreOffice than OpenOffice.

Robin S_
10-03-2012, 12:31 AM
I think Mzee might be on the right track. If the doc was (or might have been) originally written in an Office version later than 2000 it probably won't open in Word 2000. Microsoft's Office File Converter Pack enables Office 2003 files to be read in earlier versions of Office applications. There is also Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack (see Microsoft kb 924074; don't MS love using confusingly similar names for things!) for similarly enabling Office 2007 files to be read in Office 2000 and later versions. I think the compatibility pack has now been updated to cater for Office 2010 as well.

HTH.