PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Exchange & Outlook x 2

Iantech
05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi All,
Here is the situation:
One of my clients has a Win server 2008 with Exchange 2010 (server 1), there is also a sister server (server 2) at another site linked via VPN. (I dont have direct access to Server 2)
At my clients, one computer (computer 1) running Outlook is accessing Exchange on Server 2 (but not server 1).
I intend to sever the link from Computer 1 to Server 2 (and have it access Exchange on Server 1), but not just yet. I have internal mail coming onto Server 1.

Question:
Can I link Outlook to 2 Exchange servers at the one time. If yes, will it transfer (sync) the existing emails, contacts and calendar to Server 1 when I do so (it would save trying to import a .ost file if it did).

I dont want to straight out try it due to not having access to Server 2 should something go not quite right.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Cheers

inphinity
05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Unless the two exchange servers are clustered, you will need separate Outlook profiles for each.

Iantech
05-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks inphinity.
There is a Exchange profile on Server 1 as well as Server 2, they are not linked in any way and access different email accounts. At the moment, Outlook on Computer 1 is only receiving mail through Exchange on Server 2. I am wanting it to recieve mail from Exchange on Server 1 instead and eventually dump the link to Server 2. So am I able to have 2 Exchange profiles in Outlook and with the existing data (emails and contacts) in Exchange on Server 2, will it populate the Exchange profile on Server 1?
Sorry if it sounds confussing.

inphinity
05-03-2012, 02:58 PM
It won't populate the data from one profiel to another, no, it will treat them as two completely separate accounts. If you are migrating the user from one Exchange server to another your best option is to export the mailbox from the old server and import it into the user's mailbox on the new server, which will move all their mailbox content across.

Iantech
05-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Great, cheers, figured it might not. Just was hoping it would to save contacting the other IT team who maintain Server 2. Have done it manually before, so can do it again, no biggy. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

CYaBro
05-03-2012, 03:44 PM
If you have Office Outlook 2010 then it should allow two Exchange accounts without a seperate profile.
However they will still be seperate OST files.
What you could do is export one exchange account files/folders to a pst file and then import into the other one.
If you know the usernames & passwords for both exchange servers then there should be no need to contact the other IT dept.

Iantech
05-03-2012, 04:41 PM
ahhh, got ya. Yes, I'm sure it is Outlook 2010 so sounds like the method to use. It is the running of 2 exchange accounts in 1 outlook profile I wasnt sure about. I'll give that a go tomorrow. Cheers for your help. Appreciate it.

nmercer
07-03-2012, 09:22 PM
ahhh, got ya. Yes, I'm sure it is Outlook 2010 so sounds like the method to use. It is the running of 2 exchange accounts in 1 outlook profile I wasnt sure about. I'll give that a go tomorrow. Cheers for your help. Appreciate it.

correct, outlook 2010 will let you have multiple exchange server connections on the same Outlook profile