PDA

View Full Version : lilo again - not serious this time :-)

25-10-2001, 04:29 PM
Hi,

Finally back on my feet. Now, usually to start my computer in windows safe mode, I would hold down F8 until the selection screen came up. Now with lilo, this doesn't happen. I can boot from a windows floppy, but this does not boot me to windows, but rather to dos.

I am running Win ME and Red Hat Linux 7.1 dual boot (obviously :>)

Cheers

G P

25-10-2001, 05:03 PM
You *are* in 'windows safe' mode. In DOS you are safe from windows unless you type win.

25-10-2001, 07:58 PM
Funny.

But true!

Seriously though - I tried typing win, but it says it is a bad command?

Any ideas?

G P

25-10-2001, 08:58 PM
You can force windows to display the boot menu by editing msdos.sys.

Start the computer at the dos prompt and change to the root directory. Type 'attrib -s -r -h msdos.sys' to remove the system attributes. Type 'edit msdos.sys. Make an entry on a new line that reads 'BootMenu=1'. Save the file and exit. To restore the hidden and system attributes type 'attrib +s +r +h msdos.sys'

Note: you can also do this using tweak ui if you have it installed.

25-10-2001, 10:27 PM
Interesting - thanks for that Tristan. Is it possible to edit something in my boot floppy to do the same thing so I can pick and choose when I want it.

G P

25-10-2001, 10:27 PM
You have to be quick with you timing if you want to press F8.

I just hold down shift while I press enter at the LILO menu.

25-10-2001, 11:18 PM
Thankyou b m and Ian.]

b m - that'll do for my purposes.

Ian - it works, although I had previously worked around the autoexec prob by heading for the correct directory anyway. However using both methods - mine and your more correct one - I end up with a system halt pre-windows loading because it cannot find the ifshelp.img file.

doesn't matter, but I am still interested as to why the file is not there, or more importantly, why windows needs it.

Cheers anyway - problem solved

G P