PDA

View Full Version : USB Powered Monitor as Sole Monitor?

Chemical Ali
05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi

I was wondering if it was possible to run a USB powered monitor such as this (http://apcmag.com/seeing-double-lenovo-thinkvision-lt1421-review.htm) as a sole monitor on relatively modern PC or would the PC be looking for primary video output via the more traditional video outputs such as VGA, DVI or HDMI?

Agent_24
05-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Unless the BIOS was aware of a USB video device it would probably complain there was no graphics card and refuse to do anything except beep at you when you turned it on.

I don't actually know the nature of USB video devices and they may in fact be 'helped' by the graphics card.

If you're wondering if you can disable output from the normal graphics card and use the USB one instead, the answer is probably yes... but I wouldn't bet on it.

pcuser42
05-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Unless the BIOS was aware of a USB video device it would probably complain there was no graphics card and refuse to do anything except beep at you when you turned it on.

Not all of them complain, and a fair few quite happily boot without a monitor. In this case, you'd simply see nothing until the OS booted.

wainuitech
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Just spoke to one of my suppliers who will have it in stock by the end of this month, the product manager said ( according to my sales rep):

You would need a normal monitor attached first, then install the drivers that come with the display. Once they are installed you can disconnect the Normal monitor and run the USB Lenovo as a stand alone monitor.

Actually may be worth getting one, as I have several places that run servers headless, and its a PITA trying to find a free power point to plug in a normal display when I have to actually work directly from the server. Keep in mind they are only small, 14"

Agent_24
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Not all of them complain, and a fair few quite happily boot without a monitor. In this case, you'd simply see nothing until the OS booted.

Without a monitor, sure. Without a graphics card however...

Chemical Ali
05-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for that Wainuitech -- that's what I thought might be the procedure but afflicted with manflu as I am I had only done the smallest of google searches this morning in an effort to find out. The size (14") suits my intended purpose. PC World NZ reviewed a USB Powered AOC monitor in a recent issue that was 15" from memory ....