PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought: Internet speeds coming into New Zealand

cpg
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I am hoping for advice about internet speeds coming into New Zealand.

I own a small business that offers online psychometric testing for job applicants. The test is customised for each candidate and when they log-in, the audio and media files that comprise the test are downloaded from a server in Israel. The total size of these files is about 48Mb but clients are always complaining to me that their candidate's have to sit and wait in front of the computer for 9-13 minutes before the files have downloaded, and they can begin the test.

The company in Israel keeps telling me that the slowness to due to poor broadband speed but I'm sure my clients speed is not so slow as to take 13 minutes to download 48Mb. This weekend I tried from home to run the test and it took me almost 13 minutes to download and run. Whilst I was waiting for the files to download I checked my broadband speed (twice) at www.speedtest.net and it recorded my download speed as 9.7Mbps and 16.1 Mbps and my upload as 0.75Mbps and 0.82Mbps. My local ISP speed test facility returned similar results.

I would be very grateful for readers opinions on why it might be taking my clients, all located in different commercial parts of Auckland, up to 13 minutes to download a 48Mb file from Israel when broadband speed seems OK. Is it more likely to be a problem with the Israeli company's servers, or are they correct in claiming its not a problem at their end? This problem has been ongoing for 18 months now. Can I test where the bottleneck is?

All opinions and suggestions would be very gratefully accepted as I would like to be as informed as possible, before I contact the Israeli company again about this poor speed - I feel the problem is with them, but I can't be certain. Could the relatively slow upload speed be a factor?

Thanks everyone, Chris.

pctek
04-03-2012, 05:23 PM
, the audio and media files that comprise the test are downloaded from a server in Israel.

The company in Israel keeps telling me that the slowness to due to poor broadband speed .
It's lag.
Get a server in NZ, overseas servers for stuff like that makes it all 10 times worse.

cpg
04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi pctek,

Thanks could you elaborate on this lag please, for a laymen. Could I load the files on a server here in NZ and have it linked to their server in Israel?

The company in Israel have previously given me the 48Mb audio/video files and they can be installed on the PC that is used for the test, to avoid this delay, but executable file containing the audio and video is only intended for XP and if the client has Vista or Windows 7 then the files have to be extracted from the XP OS and then copied into specific directories. I never know what OS a client's PC will be and I can't really expect them to muck around installing the files in certain directories on their PC.

dugimodo
04-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Call me cynical but just because they say it's not their end doesn't mean it isn't. 48Mb from most international sites I use would take a few minutes at most. The AMD catalyst control centre drivers at 210Mb took less than 5 mins this morning.
It may not be their equipment, but somewhere between the server and NZ is obviously a bottleneck. Remember that story where some Russian grandmother dug a cable up in her back yard and took out the internet for her whole country or something? Some places in the world just don't have great bandwidth out of their country.

pctek
05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks could you elaborate on this lag please, for a laymen.

It's distance. WE have a cable connecting us to the rest of the world, we are far away.
It takes longer to get data from an overseas server than a local one.

Some are worse than others.

video is only intended for XP and if the client has Vista or Windows 7 then the files have to be extracted from the XP OS and then copied into specific directories.

Sounds like rubbish. Everything else that works in XP works in Vista or Win7.

Trev
05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
I downloaded a 54mb file from the UK last night in about 1min 30.
:)

dugimodo
05-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Lag is an often misused term, in a literal sense it's the delay between an action and a result. In terms of the internet it's the time it takes for data to travel from source to destination, or if it's both way actions like moving a character in a game then it's time it takes for data to get from source to destination and back again.

Think of it like this;- Latency indicates the times it takes a car to travel from one end of a highway to the other, bandwidth indicates how many lanes wide the highway is. Both effect how many cars can get from one end to the other in a given amount of time but the lane number is the biggest factor. The two are interelated to a degree but not the same thing, a narrow road will slow down traffic and increase latency, but the speed limit of data means latency will never be 0 no matter how wide the road is.

Lag is effectively the combination of latency and bandwidth, although it often replaces latency in common usage. You can also use Lag to describe the delay between moving a mouse and the resultant movement on screen

Lag is often used by gamers to describe low framerates as well, but this is often not really correct depending on what the cause is.

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah technically it's the throughput, or lack thereof in this instance.

Get yourself a server hosted locally, or at least with a better host internationally.

While some ISP's oversubscribe internationally, they're less likely to do-so with NZ-national data, so that's your safest option if you're serving up some decent files.