PDA

View Full Version : SATA drive shows in BIOS, not in Windows

laworder
03-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I have a 500GB Seagate SATA drive which I want to read data off, it is installed on my system as a secondary drive on SATA port 4
OS is Win XP SP3 running off a WD 1TB drive, computer is working fine - unless I have the 500GB Seagate SATA lead plugged in when I boot up, then it will not even start
loading Windows, just freezes just after the XP logo comes up. It is visible and appears OK in BIOS prior to that (and I have confirmed that the PC is set to boot off the 1TB WD drive).

If I plug the SATA lead into the Seagate once Windows is loaded, I do not see the drive, even under DOS

Any ideas how I can access this drive, ideally under Windows, but if I need to boot from some utility CD and just copy the files I need then that will be all good too

Regards
Peter J

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2012, 08:26 PM
You may have to take ownership of the hdd. If its from another system. What SATA does the mobo support? And is the seagate SATA 1, 2 or 3?

laworder
03-03-2012, 09:20 PM
It is my own HDD, its a SATA 2, the mobo supports that

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Does it appear in disk management?? Try another SATA port if it doesnt. Probably not a good idea plugging a SATA cable into a hdd while the system is on.

Agent_24
03-03-2012, 09:33 PM
If Windows freezes when trying to boot with the drive plugged in there could be something wrong with it or something wrong with the filesystem on it.

I would try a bootable Linux CD or such and see if it can read it

laworder
03-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Drive does not appear in Disk Management, have tried rescanning for drives and tried another SATA port
Will try the bootable Linux CD, see if I can copy files across that way
Dont need to copy the whole thing, just a few files

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Sounds like something is stuffed if it doesnt appear in disk management

dugimodo
04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Try another cable also and if that doesn't work consider an external USB to SATA dock or enclosure to bypass the motherboard's controller altogether.
Has the 500 had an operating system on it at any stage? Perhaps despite the BIOS setting it's trying to boot.

Plugging a SATA cable in while windows is running it technically ok as it's designed as a hot swappable interface, but to work it has to be set in AHCI mode which will kill your boot up if you change it without drivers installed in windows first. In IDE mode the drive wont be detected without a reboot, which gets you back to your current problem. Of course changing any connections inside the case with the power on has an element of risk, but as long as your careful it's ok in this case.

feersumendjinn
04-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Try one of these?
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348053

Nyuuji
04-03-2012, 10:24 AM
A possibility...

BIOS sees it, but if that 500GB Seagate is a windows boot drive from another PC, then maybe its trying to load that OS and crashing.

laworder
04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
It is a boot drive from another PC, but I have checked the BIOS and the 500 GB is not in the list of boot devices as I removed it because of this very possibility. Boot order in BIOS is CDROM> WD 1000GB > USB

Have tried booting from a Knoppix CD, but that didnt work, it was a 2004 release and I suspect it doesnt have SATA support

I tried to get an eSATA cable to try plugging into the eSATA port on the back of the motherboard, couldnt get one, and as for a USB to SATA, no joy there either

Agent_24
04-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Try something newer then. The latest version of Ubuntu or something.

Perhaps something designed for recovery would be more suitable though, so maybe https://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/files/sysresccd-x86/2.5.0/systemrescuecd-x86-2.5.0.iso/download for example.