PDA

View Full Version : replace motherboard?

micky
03-03-2012, 08:22 AM
I have an old PC and I think the motherboard is dead, there's a replacement one on trademe asus p4v533-mx is it just a case swapping all the leads or do I need to download drivers etc. Or is it complicated and not worth it for an old PC?

bk T
03-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Are you sure the MB is dead? What is the problem are you having?

How much is the MB on TM? It may not worthwhile to replace the MB as you can get an ex-leased P4 3.2GHz for <$200.00.

dugimodo
03-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Is it worth it is hard to answer, depends on how much it'll cost, how good the old machine is, etc. But it's not just a simple swap out unless the board is exactly the same make and model.
You might have to reinstall windows, would definitely need drivers, and would have to reactivate windows as well.

As Bk t pointed out there are whole 2nd hand PCs for quite cheap around and a new entry level MB / CPU / RAM combo can be had under $300 as well, so bear that in mind when weighing your options.

pctek
03-03-2012, 10:03 AM
motherboard dead, replacement on trademe asus p4v533-mx
You can often get away with it if the board is similar.
Might need to boot in safe mode if it BSODs the first time, then update the drivers.

I'm not a fan of buying cheap boxes - fine if all the parts are equivalent at least - and of known quality - but random? Forget it, might as well take the opportunity to upgrade yours...

bk T
03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
If you can get something cheaper with higher specs than your existing system, why bother to replace the MB, in this instance?