PDA

View Full Version : Asus Transformer Prime, How to update software?

bluenose
01-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Bought new Transformer Prime yesterday. Just a few small notes of instructions but no user manual as such so what do I have to do to update it?

The desktop PC and the laptop can communicate using wi-fi but nothing happens with the Tablet even when it's only a couple of metres from the E2000 router,

The screen also switches off after less than 30 seconds if no key input.

Yes! the battery was fully charged overnight and the LED indicator is solid Green.

Thanks for your time.

Bluenose

Chilling_Silence
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Updates come down automatically, or you can go Settings-> About -> Check for Updates.

Has the tablet joined the wifi, can it get online OK?

The screen timeout setting is set in Settings -> display.

sahilcc7
01-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Bought new Transformer Prime yesterday. Just a few small notes of instructions but no user manual as such so what do I have to do to update it?

The desktop PC and the laptop can communicate using wi-fi but nothing happens with the Tablet even when it's only a couple of metres from the E2000 router,

The screen also switches off after less than 30 seconds if no key input.

Yes! the battery was fully charged overnight and the LED indicator is solid Green.

Thanks for your time.

Bluenose

So WiFi is not working properly..? Is it running Ice Cream Sandwich?

bluenose
02-03-2012, 08:43 PM
So WiFi is not working properly..? Is it running Ice Cream Sandwich?

Correct WiFi probably is working properly but won't know that until I can get into it. Not running ICS (It's a TF101) and I doubt that units before TF301 came with it as standard but I stand to be corrected. That's why I was and still am in a hurry to upgrade the software. I did read of the WiFi and GPS debacle with the Aluminium cased model. Fancy that! Aluminium makes a good Faraday shield eh?

bluenose
02-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Updates come down automatically, or you can go Settings-> About -> Check for Updates.

Has the tablet joined the wifi, can it get online OK?

The screen timeout setting is set in Settings -> display.

Looks like I made an error with my reply. I tried to answer Chilling_Silence and Sahilcc7 in one post. Didn't work. So here goes second try.

Thanks for the replies guys I have some of the settings sussed -- I think. I now have to sort out the passcode that I used for the E2000 router then I should be able to get on-line.

I have to take my chances when I can. SWMBO is on crutches and it looks like she will be on them for some time yet so playing computers is a low priority.

Once again guys thanks for your help. It's good to know that help is at hand when required.

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2012, 09:49 PM
The TF101 is the original transformer, not the Prime.

All updates are done independent of a PC, it's just Samsung with their Kies software that likes to do what's known as a "Tethered" update where your device is plugged in to your PC. All others download the update to the phone / tablet over WiFi or 3G and then update themselves :)
So, it stands to reason that you've gotta get yours connected to the WiFi before you can update it, especially considering the TF101 doesn't do 3G ;-)

sahilcc7
02-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah so once you have your WiFi sorted, you should be good to go on ICS! As Chill said the TF101 is the original. Do you have an Aluminium backing?

Cicero
03-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Why would you think you have Prime, when it seems clear you do not?

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Coz the name is catchier, happens to a surprisingly large amount of people ...

Cicero
03-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Coz the name is catchier, happens to a surprisingly large amount of people ...

Correct me if I am wrong, but Prime is a model, if so how would he think he was buying said model if it is not available here?

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Coz you can buy it from the likes of PBTech :)

Cicero
04-03-2012, 07:34 AM
$1219 I see with keyboard.

Will have a look at them in Thailand later on.

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah the Transformer Prime (Tablet Only) is USD$549 and the dock is ~USD$199. You may be able to snatch up a bit of a bargain. Personally, there weren't enough major differences between the TF101 and the TF201 to warrant me to upgrade, even though I liked the sound of more cores.

bluenose
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Fixed the problem of not connecting, password was correct but the k/board is setup as USA. Took a while before I discovered that though. Luckily i've rebuilt lots of them over the years so quick fix. Wi-Fi working ok but I followed Chilling Silence's instruction on first reply but can't find "Auto Update" so is there another way to achieve the desires result?

Bluenose.

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Check again.

Settings --> About
It's then the first in the list at the top.

bluenose
05-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi Chill. Just got back from Hospital visit.

I have checked again. Settings --> About --> Sytem Update. Response is "There is no update currently available for your device."

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
OK so you've found the right place to look. What version are you currently running then?

What does it say under "Model Number" and "Android Version"?

bluenose
05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Model number TF101. Android Version 3.1. You didn't ask for these but GPS V1.3.2 Wi-Fi V5.1.50.

Bluenose

Metla
05-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Never seen an update for mine either, can't say I'm fussed.

One day I'll do the manual download and update it from the memory card.

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Must be coz mine came from the USA that I've already got the update. Presume it'll come through for NZ-based ones shortly.

bluenose
05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
That could be a possibility Chill, but I seem to remember Lakewood Lady upgrade one in a recent thread. I think I might give Asus NZ a call tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Bluenose.

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Good idea, let us know what they say too! :)

Cicero
05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
We can be sure it is not necessary at this point, otherwise we would be informed.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Just came across this, it may be of use to you:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/03/05/still-havent-received-the-android-4-0-update-on-your-og-transformer-heres-how-to-manually-install-it/

inphinity
06-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Model number TF101. Android Version 3.1. You didn't ask for these but GPS V1.3.2 Wi-Fi V5.1.50.

Bluenose

That's a pretty old build... what's the SKU? This will be under Build Number in the About Tablet panel. It should be a two-letter code xxxxx.YY_epad-x.x.x.x.x where the YY is the SKU. Something like WW, US, TW, DE etc.

Some SKUs do NOT have an ICS firmware (build 9.2.1.11) available yet. I believe TW, WW, US and DE do, anything else should be up to build 8.6.5.21 which is Android 3.2.1 and should include GPS v5.5.8, Wifi v5.2.65 and Bluetooth v6.24.

bluenose
06-03-2012, 11:38 AM
@ Chilling_Silence. I rang Asus support and was told to ring back when Eastern Australia is awake. REf. the link you posted; I read that some weeks ago but of course I didn't have the Transformer at the time. I will wait for Oz to wake up and see what I can find out from there. It won't be today though.

@ Inphinity. Many thanks for that very usefull information. The unit appears to be a WW but most of the other codes seem to be a long way out. See below.

Android 3.1
GPS V1.3.2
Wi_Fi V5.1.50
Bluetooth V6.17
Build number HMJ 73.WW_epad-8.4.4.11-20110711

So it looks like it will be some time before this will be up to date; if ever.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Bluenose.

inphinity
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
WW SKU should have the 8.6.5.21 (Android 3.2.1) and 9.2.1.11 (Android 4.0.3) firmware versions available. If it is saying there is no update even after running Check Update from About > System Firmware Update, you may want to try downloading the update directly from the Asus support site (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=20&s=16&m=Eee+Pad+Transformer+TF101&os=32) and see what it does. Personally I'd go for the Android 3.2.1 build at the moment, there are a few people experiencing issues with the current 4.0.3 build magically losing battery charge etc.

bluenose
06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
All good information inphinity. I have also read something about the 4.0.3 problems.

I have to go out shortly but will follow up on those pointers later.

Cheers

Bluenose.

bluenose
06-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Have just got off the phone to Asus support in Oz. The tech assured me that ICS is due for release over there anytime soon and NZ will probably be in the same release.

Bluenose.

Cicero
06-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh the relief.

plod
06-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Any reason why asus don't update by model instead of geographically.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Good question? I think initially it was to do with the likes of Cellular frequencies and the minor customizations for each market, but considering the TF101 is a "Wifi-only" product, I don't think that applies, so you've got me stumped :D

bluenose
08-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Any reason why asus don't update by model instead of geographically.

Another possibility is that in a bigger market there is a better chance of finding possible problems than there is in a small market. Larger number of users in a big market than in a small market.

plod
08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Another possibility is that in a bigger market there is a better chance of finding possible problems than there is in a small market. Larger number of users in a big market than in a small market. so are you in a big market or small market?

Chilling_Silence
09-03-2012, 08:10 AM
I still think regardless of the market, plod raises a good point...

bluenose
09-03-2012, 11:18 AM
so are you in a big market or small market?

NZ is a very small market and I am a very small part of that small market.

plod
09-03-2012, 11:28 AM
NZ is a very small market and I am a very small part of that small market.
I would say the transformer as a whole is a small market. Bo matter what country you are in. Surely chill this is a example of fragmentation of just one device? and a device thats not held hostage by a cell company being wifi

bluenose
09-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I still think regardless of the market, plod raises a good point...

I agree that plod does raise a good point that deserves answering. I only put forward a theory as to why the company does things the way they do.

It has been pointed out that I used the wrong name when I posed the question. I have been corrected and I now know how to update the item. Thank you.

Perhaps a new thread should be started asking why they do it this way.

Bluenose.

Chilling_Silence
09-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Fragmentation? Hmm... Kinda, but not really. I honestly don't know why companies choose to do that, but Apple has done-so in the past, staggering releases, and still does-so in some instances. Why? I really don't know...

Metla
09-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I'd say its so they aren't having to answer support calls from all around the globe in a short period of time, stagger the release and stagger the amount of support needed at anyone time.

It would be silly to overload their own resources and in turn upset 90% of the people that need to be speaking to them.

Cicero
09-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Ah, I wondered what the reason was.

bluenose
19-03-2012, 11:11 AM
The TF101 updated to ICS last night. Looks good.