PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Ultimate, start menu search vanished.

mzee
01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Dell laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate. The search field at the bottom of the Start Menu has vanished!
I have searched services etc and can not find any mention of it.
Has anyone any idea how I can restore the search field. System restore didn't do it.
Other than that, it works fine.

Chilling_Silence
01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Pretty sure that happens when you disable the disk indexing stuff?

Tbird650
01-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Maybe this (http://www.troublefixers.com/solved-windows-7-start-menu-search-missing/) will help.

mzee
01-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Windows Search is NOT in the services list, but IS ticked in the Windows components list. I checked an Asus laptop running the same OS and it is the same. Not in services, but it works. Got me beat! I have a computer with Windows 7 Professional and Windows Search is in the Services list.

wainuitech
01-03-2012, 08:23 PM
What happens if you press the Windows+F key, does the search window open ?

Also have a read of fix-search-box-is-missing-in-windows-7-start-menu-explorer (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-search-box-is-missing-in-windows-7-start-menu-explorer)

Paul.Cov
01-03-2012, 11:08 PM
The search function back in W98 was better anyhow!

Totally hate the W7 search. It doesn't even justify the name. Damned useless at finding content, whether within a file, or a file name... and then there's the features (missing) to limit searches by date or file size... or am I missing something?

wainuitech
02-03-2012, 08:06 AM
The search function back in W98 was better anyhow!

Totally hate the W7 search. It doesn't even justify the name. Damned useless at finding content, whether within a file, or a file name... and then there's the features (missing) to limit searches by date or file size... or am I missing something? You must be missing something or have functions turned off. The date for example is displayed beside the result, depending on what view you are in.

When ever I use search it always finds what is asked (as long as its there of course), documents, emails, programs you name it and its a lot better than the W98 & XP. I can search not only my whole computer but the 3 servers, and any of the other networked PC's very quickly. Obviously the servers which can contain thousands of files may take a little longer 20-30 seconds over the LAN, but thats to be expected.

Many people turn off indexing, thats why the search doesn't work to good for them.You can also change the depth of the search functions. See Pic:3614

mzee
02-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Checked the Registry .. No entry (NoFind) = default on.
Checked Windows components ... Windows Search is ticked.
Not listed in 'Services', but it is also not in the Asus which is on the same Windows Ultimate.

Used 'Microsoft Fixit' which gave the message 'Windows Search is not Started", didn't know why.
How do I start Windows Search?

The only major difference between the two laptops is that the faulty one has Office 2007 installed.

mzee
07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Removed Office 2007 and all is well! Installed Open Office instead. Lousy interface anyway!

pctek
08-03-2012, 08:55 AM
When ever I use search it always finds what is asked (as long as its there of course),
Many people turn off indexing, thats why the search doesn't work to good for them.
It's speed of search, not results that affects.

Search is like Explorer, it will show you what it thinks you should see. SOme DRM won't show - even though it's there.

I use 3rd party programs now.