PDA

View Full Version : CPU still attached to heatsink (after removal)

icow
28-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Because I didnt engage my brain before trying to remove my old stock heatsink, I didn't turn the computer on before trying to remove the heatsink :stare: this resulting in the heatsink still being attached to the cpu once removed :blush:. Anyway I've checked the pins they are all still straight and I don't think i've killed the cpu (phew). I tried various methods described online for when this happens such as using a hair drier and even an iron the heat the heatsink up enough to loosen the thermal paste. Both without any success. I can't simply put the cpu back into the motherboard because of the locking mechanism is obscured by the heatsink. Anyway any ideas on how to remove the heatsink from the cpu?

Paul.Cov
28-02-2012, 06:22 PM
You seem to have the right idea. The thermal paste has dried, and is now acting more like a glue.

Ideally you want to get things pretty hot, without imparting any static charge or undue force on the CPU and its pins, and without burning yourself.

Resting it heatsink side down in hot water might do it, but there's a danger of steam and moisture wrecking the cpu.

Hot oil (eg cooking oil) could impart a lot of heat, without the steam hazard, but would be a bugger to clean off the heatsink afterwards, and would be like a glue to any further dust that gathers.

A modest size butane torch or a bic lighter might do the job. but you'll need to fashoin a makeshift tripod to hold it all, and still avoid excessive heat on any part of the cpu. A blunt block of wood could be used to provinde some lateral pressure to try to slide the cpu off as the stuff gets hot.

A twisting action might be easier to initiate than a slide.

Good luck

icow
28-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Nvm. Mini heart attack over. Used alcohol to loosen the cpu and then used a small blade to get under the edge of the cpu.

dugimodo
28-02-2012, 06:26 PM
normally you need a slight twisting acting to break the grip but I don't know how you'd hold the cpu to achieve this, maybe a heated butter knife and some extreme care?
If it's the type with a metal can you should be ok, but if not you'll have to be very careful. You could put the CPU in a vice if you have the nerve to try it.