PDA

View Full Version : any Freeview experts able to answer some questions please?

sooby
28-02-2012, 01:45 PM
1/ Are UHF aerials affected by tall trees close by? We have a VHF aerial currently which gives fine reception, will UHF be the same?

2/ I heard a rumor that TV's with integrated Freeview tuners need to be left 'on' to be able to record from. I'm not sure if 'ON' means merely in standby mode of actually 'going'

3/ I have a DishTV PVR freeview tuner http://www.dishtv.co.nz/Freeview|HD-aerialBox/1-DishTV-Freeview|HD-1080p-Receiver.htm will this be able to connect to a PC screen directly? Are there adapters that can turn S-video connections (or whatever they are called) into monitor input cables? Not fussed on pictures quality loss.

4/ We have an older model TV without inbuilt freeview tuner, when we go to record freeview channels to our dvd/hdd player, we need to 'book' them on our freeview decoder to make sure the channels change to the one we want to record. If we had a TV with an inbuilt freeview tune, would we still need to book them,or would it be the same as normal free to air channels are now (no booking)?

5/ I tried swapping our VHF aerial for a UHF aerial but the Hauppauge tuner didn't pick up any channels, assuming the tuner is at fault, is the rest of my setup OK, ie: is the splitter a problem? (Please see attached diagram, apologies for the small size)

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/0/207697000_full.jpg

thanks for any info & suggestions

Morgenmuffel
28-02-2012, 02:01 PM
1) where are you in the country, check here if you can get freeview HD
http://www.freeviewnz.tv/coverage.aspx

sooby
28-02-2012, 02:12 PM
cheers MM,

we are in taupo & get both satellite & terrestrial service.

I want it to be like recording regular tv is now ie: schedule dvd recorder for different shows on at different times (like 10-11am TV1, 12-1pm TV3, 3-4pm C4, 5-5:30 prime etc) without having to 'book' them individually on the tuner - just the recorder.

dugimodo
28-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Check the link Morgen posted and bear in mind the UHF signal may not be in the same location as the VHF and that UHF aerials ar more directional and therefore need to point pretty much exactly the right way. Also check the polarisation, most are horizontal but in some areas you may need to rotate the aerial 90 degrees.
As to your questions
1/To a degree yes, depends how many trees. A bit of light foliage isn't a problem, large tall trees or hills are

2/Only if you are using the TV to do the tuning, much like using your external tuner now. If using your PVR then the TV can be off.

3/Maybe, the easiest option would be a 1080P monitor with an HDMI input and it's own speakers. Many PC screens have this, a lot don't.

4/ really depends on how you set it up, as the dvd/hdd player doesn't have it's own tuner something has to feed it a signal. Either the TV or your existing tuner. TV's generally don't have a booking feature and may not have an output you can use for recording either. You may want to consider replacing the dvd player with something freeview capable to save an overly complicated setup.

5/ Your diagrams look fine

dugimodo
28-02-2012, 02:46 PM
You inspired me to draw a picture of my setup for comparison so here it is.
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7277/freeview.jpg

I just use the TiVo for all my tuning and recording needs and I don't have the TV connected to the aerial at all but it would be easy enough to split the connection if I wanted to. Basically I just use my TV as a giant monitor.

sooby
28-02-2012, 02:49 PM
thanks dugimodo!

hrmm, may have to sharpen the axe - trees are quite thick & going off the direction of a neightbour's UHF they are exactly in the wrong place for reception! Either that or move the aerial.

Thanks for the definitive answer to Q2, that was bugging me a lot.

I'm not fussed on 1080P monitor, I just want to connect to a 21" PC screen in my office as a make shift secondary TV, when she who must be obeyed is using our actual TV.

You say in Q4 that TV's generally don't have a booking feature and may not have an output you can use for recording either. Does this mean a TV with freeview inbuilt tuner would not provide outputs to dvd recorder, to enable recording all freeview channels as we do now with regular analog channels? The wife raised a good point about when we go away for a few days & set up dvd recorder to record the shows we want, we don't want to have to book them too, if it can be avoided (if this makes sense)

sooby
28-02-2012, 02:53 PM
You inspired me to draw a picture of my setup for comparison so here it is.
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7277/freeview.jpg

I just use the TiVo for all my tuning and recording needs and I don't have the TV connected to the aerial at all but it would be easy enough to split the connection if I wanted to. Basically I just use my TV as a giant monitor.

thanks for that - makes a lot of sense!

BBCmicro
28-02-2012, 03:00 PM
With VHF (ie, analogue) it is essential to have a proper antenna, otherwise you get multipath reception, or ghosting.

With UHF (digital), the only purpose of the antenna is to provide enough signal. Multipath is not a problem. Quite often a VHF antenna will work OK, if you are in a good reception area

dugimodo
28-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Get an external FAT32 HDD and connect it to your dishTV and use that to record TV (it has a PVR function I believe) - I'm told it works quite well. You could test it with a flash drive first to see how good it is (actually a large flash drive might even be good enough). Depending on how much you record it wouldn't need to be that big, my TiVO has a 320G drive and it has never come close to being full.

Using the PC as a TV is best with the hauppauge tuner you mentioned, it will allow the picture to scale to any resolution whereas the the external tuner will only work at predefined resolutions, SVideo may be an option but I've never seen an adapter.

As for the TV outputs, you'd have to check the features of the model you have or are considering getting to see, I don't believe mine has a video out but I may be wrong, I'm not at home right now to check).

The best option for recording Freeview HD is a HDD based PVR which your DishTV may be able to become by adding a HDD or alternatively the Tivo is a good option ($200-$200 depending on specials, but requires wireless or ethernet internet access to get the guide working). There are plenty around.

sooby
28-02-2012, 03:09 PM
thanks everyone for your help - I appreciate it.

You've given me plenty to think about!

sooby
28-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Looking at Tivo PVR's on trade me - how do I tell which ones have duel tuners, none there mention this?

Also tried telecom & mytivonz websites with no results either

psycik
28-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Looking at Tivo PVR's on trade me - how do I tell which ones have duel tuners, none there mention this?

Also tried telecom & mytivonz websites with no results either

Keep an eye out for bond and bond selling tivos for $199 (down from $299) it happens fairly regularly. I believe this past weekend they were running a special - it may still be active. Failing that it's about every month at the moment.

They're all dual tuner, and a much better idea than trying to record off your TV.

sooby
28-02-2012, 03:45 PM
cheers psycik, that info is gold!

sooby
28-02-2012, 03:52 PM
so the season pass & EPG is all gravy, as long as the tivo has a broadband connection?

also, how much do the downloadable cost & how recent are most of the movies? As in, not paying $7.00 to download, for the same movie that is a $1 recent release at the local video rental shop?

Once you've downloaded the movie, does it have so long before it auto deletes, or do you have it indefinitely?

dugimodo
28-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Forget the downloadable content it's complete rubbish and hasn't had a new title in months. If you can find something you want to watch movies are $4-$6 and it works quite well. Even without the downloadable content service the TiVo is a great device, and yes they need a broadband connection for the guide etc to work. I've even heard they won't record at all without a connection after a few days. I used the wireless adapter that came with mine for a while and it worked pretty well but I'm always playing with stuff and mucking up the wifi so I use ethernet instead because it just works.

Maybe if bond and bond can sell enough units TiVo will make the CASPA service worthwhile, it was better at first and has deteriorated greatly I can only guess due to low usage. It's been a monumental marketing failure for what is really quite a nice device and should have been sold in appliance stores from day one, Who buys appliances from Telecom online stores? (apart from me, $10 a month for 3 years interest free on the phone bill was a good deal at the time and I don't even notice it). Maybe the low price and impending switch to digital only free to air might give it a boost.

sooby
29-02-2012, 09:17 AM
thanks dugimodo,

Once you've downloaded the movie, does it have an expiry date, or do you 'own' it indefinitely?

effie c
29-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi,
I don't know what happened to the first paragrah of this post-I had stated that telecome rep had persuaded me to try a TiVo--but it has disappeared
as a long time telecom user,they were offering a free TiVo in return for 12 months loyalty- a forgone solution anyway
In short after I had cooled off such a great prize,I decided to trymysky etc,as I have to buy 2 sets at once ( bedroom and lounge )
Now I see that had I carried on with that, and TiVo needing a broadband connection,my present TV is the oposite end of this house ( my computer is serviced by ethernet cable )set up to get to my lounge TV-so a separate ethernet set up would be needed if I took the TiVo

Is this the case?
effie c

effie c
29-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi again
My last post is incomprehensible-thanks to typing disappearing altering the entire post
Will I would have had a separate ethernet to my lounge TV if I had gone ahead with the acceptance of it?
effie c

dugimodo
29-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Each TiVo will need either a wifi or ethernet connection yes.

You get a few days to watch a downloaded movie, and it shortens to a few hours once you start it so you pretty much have to finish it once you start watching. Once it expires it deletes itself from the hard drive.

Honestly though I'm not kidding, there is nothing worth watching on the CASPA service at present. Pick the smallest local video store you've seen, remove all the new releases and anything from the big studios or anything particularly popular. what you're left with is 10 times more than what's available on CASPA, and if I'm exaggerating it's in favour of CASPA not against it.

sooby
29-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Each TiVo will need either a wifi or ethernet connection yes.

You get a few days to watch a downloaded movie, and it shortens to a few hours once you start it so you pretty much have to finish it once you start watching. Once it expires it deletes itself from the hard drive.

Honestly though I'm not kidding, there is nothing worth watching on the CASPA service at present. Pick the smallest local video store you've seen, remove all the new releases and anything from the big studios or anything particularly popular. what you're left with is 10 times more than what's available on CASPA, and if I'm exaggerating it's in favour of CASPA not against it.

interesting... thanks.

what about regularly recorded programs? How long can they be stored to HDD, do they auto-delete too? We have a few series we've recorded (like An idiot abroad) that we'd like to keep indefinately. Is there an option to do this, ideally without hooking up to computer.

Cheers

psycik
29-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Technically the law says you can record and keep things for a "reasonable length of time" in practicality this means if you have the space you can keep it until a, the hard drive fills up, b (this is the case with mysky not sure tivo) a firmware upgrade.

Be aware you've only got a 320 Gb hard drive....and with an HD program being in the order of 10 Gb an hour. Although I have heard of people doing upgrades on the drives.

sooby
29-02-2012, 02:57 PM
ok, thats great, thanks psycik.

are adding external HDD an option at all? Or adding network storage?

psycik
29-02-2012, 03:33 PM
ok, thats great, thanks psycik.

are adding external HDD an option at all? Or adding network storage?

Wouldn't think so. You're starting to leave the realm of "consumer devices" now. This is where a custom built PVR is more applicable. Tivos are designed for plug and go functionality.

sooby
29-02-2012, 03:45 PM
gotcha.

I think the plug & play attributes of tivo make up for the reduced HDD size, compared with other options with bigger HDD.

I guess we'd only us 1080p setting for the odd movie, like avatar etc, and keep every other recording quality set lower.

Appreciate your help, cheers again!

psycik
29-02-2012, 04:22 PM
1080i and you have no say in the matter. 1080i is what is broadcast - whether the program is hd or not. That is what you will record.

Exceptions of course, prime, c4, u etc are only 576i.

dugimodo
29-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Actually it does have the option to add an external HDD for extra storage. It's meant to be the TiVo branded one but apparently you can tell it to ignore the warning and use a different one. I haven't tried this myself.
320G might sound small for HD but I have never had space issues in the time I've had mine (more than a year).

Edit: you can buy the optional network software to allow transferring shows onto a pc, haven't tried that either.

sooby
01-03-2012, 10:08 AM
1080i and you have no say in the matter. 1080i is what is broadcast - whether the program is hd or not. That is what you will record.

Exceptions of course, prime, c4, u etc are only 576i.

Ok, that's interesting, I would have thought there would be option to lower recording quality, guess it doesn't really matter.

Actually it does have the option to add an external HDD for extra storage. It's meant to be the TiVo branded one but apparently you can tell it to ignore the warning and use a different one. I haven't tried this myself.
320G might sound small for HD but I have never had space issues in the time I've had mine (more than a year).

Edit: you can buy the optional network software to allow transferring shows onto a pc, haven't tried that either.

thanks - will look into it should the need arise.

Cheers again everyone for your help - without the valuable information you've given me I would have gone down an entirely different path, and not known about the better alternatives!