PDA

View Full Version : Slipstreaming XP Home with SP2 and SP3 - is SP2 needed?

braindead
28-02-2012, 05:39 AM
I had heard that SP3 already contains everything from SP2 but I don't know if that's true.

Thanks very much!

pcuser42
28-02-2012, 06:26 AM
If you slipstream SP3 you don't need to slipstream SP2 as well.

braindead
28-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Cool ~ thank you pcuser42...much appreciated.

Deimos
01-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I had heard that SP3 already contains everything from SP2 but I don't know if that's true.

Thanks very much!

SP3 does not include updates from previous service packs so you need SP2 installed before you can install SP3.

E.g.

You have Windows XP media with no service pack installed, if you install windows from that media you can install SP2 directly (SP1 updates are included in SP2) but you cannot install SP3 without installing SP2 first (SP3 does not contain the updates included in previous service packs)

The same goes for slip-steaming the service packs in to the media, you need to create an SP2 install disk, and then slipstream SP3 in to that.

pcuser42
01-03-2012, 05:15 AM
SP3 does not include updates from previous service packs so you need SP2 installed before you can install SP3.

E.g.

You have Windows XP media with no service pack installed, if you install windows from that media you can install SP2 directly (SP1 updates are included in SP2) but you cannot install SP3 without installing SP2 first (SP3 does not contain the updates included in previous service packs)

The same goes for slip-steaming the service packs in to the media, you need to create an SP2 install disk, and then slipstream SP3 in to that.

Not true, only SP1 is required for installation of SP3. I've also heard of people successfully slipstreaming SP3 into vanilla XP discs.

braindead
01-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Unless convinced otherwise, I'm going to "believe" the poster who has the highest number of posts :)

autechre
01-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Not true, only SP1 is required for installation of SP3. I've also heard of people successfully slipstreaming SP3 into vanilla XP discs.
Correct - SP3 has all the previous SPs & updates included and can be slipstreamed into a "vanilla" XP disc.

If you are going to slipstream XP, grab nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/download.html) which will make the process a whole lot easier and it will create a nice bootable disc/iso at the end :)

braindead
01-03-2012, 07:51 AM
grab nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/download.html)

I did - thank you :)

Agent_24
01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Unless convinced otherwise, I'm going to "believe" the poster who has the highest number of posts :)

Believe the guys who made it:

"Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system."

"Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Home Edition N, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Professional N, Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Starter Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition"

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10767

Deimos
03-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Weird, the first SP3 download I ever got was only 90MB and had no other service packs build in, but now I see the only available download is 350MB...

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2012, 09:03 PM
XP SP3 is 316mb. It may have been lower, if you got it from windowsupdate. Office 2007 SP3, is 351 mb

wainuitech
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Unless convinced otherwise, I'm going to "believe" the poster who has the highest number of posts :) To follow on from Agent posted -- And your comment above, my post count is higher :p

Try reading what microsoft actually state. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/downloads/service-packs look at what they say about requirements for SP3.
The latest service pack for Windows XP is Service Pack 3 (SP3). To install Windows XP SP3, you must first have SP1a or SP2 installed. Then click on the Download SP3, under system requirements

Do it right the first time, other wise you could end up with all sorts of troubles.

Agent_24
04-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Well that's just contradictory and confusing.

First they say you must have at least SP1a then they say "Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2" which implies that plain XP without any SP at all is also supported.

It has been a long time since I slipstreamed SP3 into my XP CD so I can't actually remember what version I based it from. Now I'm tempted to go and do a test install to see if it complains about a non-SP XP install!

autechre
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
SP1a is required if you are installing SP3 onto an already running system.

Slipstreaming SP3 onto a plain XP disc works fine though.