PDA

View Full Version : Memory problem with Toshiba W7 laptop.

mzee
28-02-2012, 12:07 AM
My son recently bought a Toshiba Satellite 4 core laptop with Windows Home premium.
As a sales gimmick the RAM was upgraded to 8gb despite the fact that it is 32bit and not capable of using it.
The usable memory is shown as 2.5gb. This seems to be a bit low. Could 1.5gb be allocated to the video card?
Unlike my Dell which came with xp and W7, 32 & 64bit, no software came with the Toshiba

Is it possible to use the full 4gb with 32bit?

CYaBro
28-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Why not run the recovery software and switch to 64bit?
First thing I do on pretty much any laptop now if it isn't already 64bit.

pcuser42
28-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Why not run the recovery software and switch to 64bit?
First thing I do on pretty much any laptop now if it isn't already 64bit.

Better yet, borrow a Windows 7 disc (use the key on the bottom of the laptop) and do a complete format, no junk that way.

mzee
28-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Better yet, borrow a Windows 7 disc (use the key on the bottom of the laptop) and do a complete format, no junk that way.
I have already done the above because when I tried to remove Norton, Windows was corrupted, also because there was a whole lot of junk. I installed W7 Ultimate 32bit. Runs very well and not a real problem with the memory as it was bought to do office work on line (Post Xmas sale $1200 4 core). I also split the one huge partition into 2 Primary and 2 Sequential. If 64 bit was needed I could convert my Dell to 64bit, make an image of it then Universal restore to the Toshiba. There could be a problem with 64 drivers for the Toshiba as the only ones I have are saved from the original Windows Home. Could use Driver Detective.

CYaBro
28-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Toshiba will have the 64bit drivers on their website as the laptops come with 32bit & 64bit Windows - You have to select which one you want to run the first time you turn it on.
Well that's how all the Toshiba's that we've sold are setup anyway.

mzee
28-02-2012, 08:01 PM
There was nothing at the start except a very brief logo. We will keep the 32bit as most of his software is old but is Ok on 32bits.