PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Office 2010 to new PC

tinakarori
27-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I bought a used laptop a few months ago to get the Office 2010 Professional suite installed on it. The installation is kosher, but I don't have the original CDs: the installation was #3 of three permissable installations. Unfortunately neither do I have the Product Key - the original laptop owner can't find it - but I have found out how to retrieve the Product Key using System Info by Gabriel Topala, thanks to an item in Office Watch (1/07/09). I haven't actually done this yet, so if anyone has a better suggestion I'll be very pleased to have it.

My question is, once I have the Product Key, how best to transfer or reinstall the Office suite on my desktop PC? So far as I can make out, although it's legitimate to do this provided the previous installation is deleted/uninstalled, how would Microsoft confirm that when I go to register the new installation?

DeSade
27-02-2012, 02:38 PM
You do not have the right to use it.
The licence is for three installations in (more or less) the same area (address) two have been used elsewhere. Technically Office should have been removed from that laptop when it was sold unless the old owner has already deleted the other two or the other two related to installations in that same laptop.

So if you are sure there are no other installations floating around and you are sure the old owner is not using the product key, simply install it and see if it works. If it doesn't ring MS helpdesk and 99% of the time the will authorize a new installation for you.
It may even be automated now like Win7 is but I am not sure on that.

Oh and the quickest/easiest way I know to get the key is MagicJellyBean (google it)

wratterus
27-02-2012, 02:56 PM
As DeSade has said, technically the installation, while legitimate, is not legal. Magic Jelly Bean is the easiest way to find the key, and you can just use the standard Office 2010 trial installation to install it, as long as it's a standard retail key.

http://www7.buyoffice.microsoft.com/asia/default.aspx?cache=1762147323&currency=NZD&country_id=NZ&WT.mc_id=ODC_ENUS_OATTryHome_MonTry&culture=en-NZ

If it doesn't activate automatically just give MS a call.

CYaBro
27-02-2012, 03:34 PM
If it is legit then you can just download the trial version from here:
http://www7.buyoffice.microsoft.com/emea1/product.aspx?sku=10246613&cache=917778208&culture=en-GB

You need to login with a Windows Live login so create one if you don't have one.
You'll get a key for a 60 day trial but just use your own key to make it the full product.

Edit: Just saw wrats post :D saying the same thing as me sorry!

27-02-2012, 04:17 PM
the installation was #3 of three permissable installations

Are you sure ??
Often people just assume they get 3 installs, when they may only get 1(OEM) or 2 (actually laptop+PC)
Home & student is for 3 PC's, pretty sure Pro isnt

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/compare-your-purchase-options-FX102753654.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/professional/

Greven
27-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Office 2010 Pro is hideously expensive retail, so I think it is safe to assume it is OEM, which can only be used on the computer it was first installed on.

ManUFan
28-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Office 2010 Pro is hideously expensive retail, so I think it is safe to assume it is OEM, which can only be used on the computer it was first installed on.

He he - $10 from Microsoft's HUP (Home Usage Programme) through work............ Although I will have to get rid of it if I leave work or work pulls out of the programme :-(

gary67
28-02-2012, 12:36 PM
$80 if your a student and you get to keep it and its not OEM

Greven
28-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I got a free copy through work - we subscribe to the action pack & don't need all 10 licences, so my boss gave one to me to use for home. There is no way I could afford Office Pro otherwise.

There are all sorts of ways to get Microsoft Office, but none of them will allow tinakarori to do what he wants.