PDA

View Full Version : Nosy parker gets zapped with Nimda

24-10-2001, 10:34 PM
My firewall blocked access from a certain IP address. I stupidly went to it to see who it was and I got zapped with the Nimda virus. I am wary of putting the address here in case anyone does the same and gets zapped too. www.internic.net did not identify the site.
My virus protection software 'restored' the infected file (in c:\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\)
WOuld I have been zapped with the virus if I had not had the firewall?
What damage could have ocuured had my virus protection software not have picked up the infection?
Sally

25-10-2001, 12:26 AM
Heres the Symantec info:

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.html

As usual it can be avoided by not using IE and Outlook (and IIS which I hope your not running).

At least they (Microsoft) keep the antivirus companies in business.

25-10-2001, 08:39 AM
Sally, just a question. How did you go about to see who it was. Did you puuch the ip address into your brower address or did you use a tracing program such as Neotrace ?

Jess

25-10-2001, 09:20 AM
After I couldn't find an owner on internic, I just types in the address
Sally

28-10-2001, 05:15 PM
Sally,Firewalls only stop unauthorised access to your computer,they don't help if you open a link to the other persons computer and thats what you did when you went and had a look. Firewalls also help to stop trojans from sending information from your puter to anyone who is interested.Don't make the mistake of thinking noone would be interested in your system cause they use your passwords and details to hack into more serious things and it looks like you did it. Update your antivirus often as they are changing all the time. If you had not had your anti virus then nimda would have made a total mess of your system. I picked up the nimda virus from just going to a web site...it was in the cookie...Go to www.symantec.com this is the Norton website, they have all the information there about nimda and other nasties. Have a good look around while you are there...I learnt heaps from that place.