PDA

View Full Version : All browsers are memory hogs!

Agent_24
25-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I have noticed that when doing a lot of browsing that the memory usage of the browser just climbs, and climbs, and never stops. This isn't a new thing, but now I'm getting sick of it.

It seems that despite closing tabs, the memory still increases, like the memory is not freed after closing a tab.

I have this with IE7, IE9, Firefox 10, Opera 11 - they all do it, on all machines. Only way to fix it is to close and restart browser, or eventually all memory is wasted and the computer just grinds to a halt.

Any extensions\plugins for any of the main browsers to prevent this problem?

pcuser42
25-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I dunno about some people but Firefox on my PC is closed regularly anyway...

SP8's
25-02-2012, 12:55 PM
You're talking about RAM Agent ??

Agent_24
25-02-2012, 01:00 PM
You're talking about RAM Agent ??

RAM\Pagefile, both, maybe, something is wasting it..

SP8's
25-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm using Chrome ... have it open from about 7am to after midnight at times and using it quite often over that period doing searches, forum posts, etc ... although Taskmanager shows the Tabs that are open, and it does climb at times, I've seen no real "bogging down" or loss of performance ... having said that, I'm not using the computer for gaming, video editing, etc.

It is not very often I close chrome or restart the computer ... goes into standby at night and never switched off unless I have to swap out HD's or stick one in as a slave to work on.

I'm actually just watching Taskmanager as I write this to see what's happening ... but things are staying pretty static even though I have 5 Tabs open.

mikebartnz
25-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I have noticed that when doing a lot of browsing that the memory usage of the browser just climbs, and climbs, and never stops. This isn't a new thing, but now I'm getting sick of it.

It seems that despite closing tabs, the memory still increases, like the memory is not freed after closing a tab.

I have this with IE7, IE9, Firefox 10, Opera 11 - they all do it, on all machines. Only way to fix it is to close and restart browser, or eventually all memory is wasted and the computer just grinds to a halt.

Any extensions\plugins for any of the main browsers to prevent this problem?
I don't know about the other browsers but FF still stores everything from closed tabs (up to 8 pages) until the browser is closed.
You could go to about:config and change browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0(zero). This will slow down the forward and back button reload times.

pctek
25-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I had that at work a while ago.
In the end I deleted Firefox, and the profile. Thoroughly, manually removing all the bits that got left in various places.

Reinstalled, loaded bookmarks back, and the problem was gone.
It didn't matter if I didn't have FF open and was using Chrome - same thing.....so explain that....

Loads of things here were tried first.