PDA

View Full Version : Attention !!!!!!!

Nhashon
24-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Est Nod 32 users , MSE users , might like to see this , though only problem is it cost money , who cares for $20 malware is finshed .

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/291473,tech-deals-get-a-malware-scanner-worth-20-for-free-today.aspx

Speedy Gonzales
24-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll stick with MSE. Since Mamutu looks like its only free for a year. Then it'll probably die. And I cant be bothered logging in to get the serial

inphinity
24-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Yet another anti-malware tool. Goody?

Chilling_Silence
24-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I'll pass thanks, will stick with NOD32. Stick with what you know and trust and have already paid for over something that *may* be free...

nedkelly
24-02-2012, 02:57 PM
im happy with ESET too

Agent_24
24-02-2012, 03:20 PM
And I'll keep my highly paranoid Comodo Defense+

pctek
24-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Well I'd maybe be keen on something like that - but known good first, tested first. I'd want to see real world results and user reviews (not mag reviews).
I don't care whether they are free or pay - so long as they work and work well.

wainuitech
24-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Had a look at this thread about 2.20pm, took a look at the software linked -- Its actually free for the year. The one they are offering is not an actual removal tool from what I can see, its more of a preventive piece of software.

It runs on the computer and is consistently looking for any signs of trouble so to speak. The default settings have a lot of files turned off from detection / scanning.

I loaded it onto a PC that I have here that did have the "system Care" malware.

After sitting there doing nothing for 15 minutes I uninstalled it. Then went to their site and downloaded the free version of the Antimalware program. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

The computer that had the infections had been scanned with Nod32 (which was already installed) and looking at the logs was going nuts catching items at the time of the attack doing its best to stop it, It was then scanned with Malware bytes and Super Antispyware, and while they found bits and bobs, Nod32 had done most of the work. All of these scanners took approx 2 hours to do a complete scan.

So far after about 5 hours of scanning, Emsisoft anti-malware is at 89% ( not exactly a fast scanner) there is 248GB of space used on the HDD.

It has found some infections the others missed.

Conclusion:
If the one mentioned in the above link, Mamutu had been installed first, theres no way of telling if it would have stopped any infections. It certainly didn't detect any after being installed.

May have to put it on a clean machine and go malware hunting :) to see if it stops anything or lets it through.

The free Antimalware version looks like it may be OK to add to the current range of programs to clean out PC's, if you have the time to wait, and wait.

More testing required. But like everything these days, you cant trust one product to do it all.

Thats the end of todays report ;)

Party time :D

Chilling_Silence
26-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Anybody else see the latest PCW?

Apparently Nortons is 2nd on the list again, whereas NOD32 manages to score a lowly 7th.

I'd love to see some *hard* statistical data on how they reach those conclusions and where they get their infections from, not to mention the magical virus / trojan / whatever that Nortons can stop that NOD32 cant!

The Error Guy
26-02-2012, 09:03 AM
In reality most of us here probably dont need an antivirus. I have never actually picked up anything other than "mistakes" from MSE's part. Same goes for all AV's I use.

Malware itself is probably on the decline. In today's world we probably need Phishing filters, ebay/trademe "scam detection" and the likes. This has evolved because just unlike PC's and malware (large user base made it more viable than MAC and UNIX) the internet can be scammed everywhere, iOS, android PC, MAC. They are all irrelevant to a scammer.

Most people's computers with or without AV are often bogged down with crapware and toolbars, Malware is still a threat but less so these days (I think)

So the the REAL threat is online, and the problem with PC's is poor hardware and software maintenance.

Chilling_Silence
26-02-2012, 02:44 PM
True, in part.

Phishing scams etc work brilliantly, but with the large customer base who happily open "Invoice from UPS" and other things, add in the defence that NOD32 provides by alerting you to phishing / scamming sites (Even on its basic Antivirus suite) and it's worth having, and I find myself alerted occasionally to sites that are infected / bad sites from NOD32. I'm no fool, and I'd consider myself an experienced user, but it's still picked up a few things.

Agent_24
26-02-2012, 04:11 PM
If I am not expecting an email from any company and I get one, then I will assume it's a scam unless proven otherwise.

Most can be proven fake very easily because they either refer to a bank or other company I have never had dealings with, or have blatantly obvious fake URLs.

Anything I might be unsure about (Which is yet to happen) I will call the company and ask them myself.

27-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Anybody else see the latest PCW?

Apparently Nortons is 2nd on the list again, whereas NOD32 manages to score a lowly 7th.

Probhably because NOD has abysmal spyware/malware detection. Allways has been rather poor in this area.
No excuse given they claim to detect 'spyware' , yet is worse than free spyware scanners (Mbytes)

It was a big disappointment the no of infections getting through after we rolled NOD out to many of our customers.

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah that's a good point, though I can't see Nortons scoring higher personally :-/

Greven
27-02-2012, 09:59 PM
What all in one app is as good as MalwareBytes at detecting spyware? All the big names are useless & usually slow to boot.

Agent_24
27-02-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't think there are any. You really do need a separate AV and Anti-spyware in my opinion.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Yeah I'll second that...