PDA

View Full Version : internet double connection or not?

24-10-2001, 10:24 PM
My first ever post, if it goes through. Tried twice before over past two weeks with no success. Seemed to work ok with blue transmitting line but never showed up on forum.

Here is my query. It is not a problem, I am just curious about it.
When logging off the internet a couple of times over the past month, and after closing a dial up box, I found a second dial up box activated. It had been lurking beneath some open windows. I clicked and closed it.
Later when it happened on another occasion I decided to investigate and was able to have two separate and different web sites open at the same time and was able to surf separately on each. I had them open side by side so could see them both at once.
Does this mean that I had a double connection on one single phone line (which I understand is not possible), or was each one holding it in memory whilst the other was being used. I was switching between each fairly quickly.
I have one residential phone line only and am using Clear Net, and ordinary user.
Pentium 111 450, 56k internal modem.

24-10-2001, 11:06 PM
Hi there - yep your post made it ! A tip - pressing CTRL and F5 together will refresh the web page if you don't see your post immediately :-)

OK - as for two windows open, surfing different websites.

This is a feature of an internet browser, in that you can have more than one window open and switch between them all to view different websites. You can read what's in one window while the other one loads etc.

You are still using the same one phone line and yes, it is not possible to use a dial up line to dial another number whilst in use.

As for the second dial up window, that may have come up if you opened an email program or another application that needs to connect to the web, but seeing as you were already connected it didn't need to dial out.

I hope this is clear

GG