PDA

View Full Version : HP Printer Cartridges

Pato
23-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I am going to buy another printer. When my HP printer starts up it appears to cycle through the Cartridges and I presume it uses ink. Do all printers do the same thing?. I have always had HP Printers but am thinking I might look at an Epson?. Anyone got any recommendations?.

gary67
23-02-2012, 02:22 PM
My canon does that too but not always

PeterQ
23-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I dont think it uses a lot of ink, my one does the same HP multifunction

Pato
23-02-2012, 03:21 PM
My canon does that too but not alwaysThanks. That confirms that is not confined to the HP.

Pato
23-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I dont think it uses a lot of ink, my one does the same HP multifunctionIt certainly sounds as though it is going through the ink, which is expensive enough eh?.

Agent_24
23-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Ink is used during the head cleaning process, it is just part of how inkjet printers work. If you don't like it, buy a laser printer, and pay a heck of a lot more for cartridges.

Pato
23-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Ink is used during the head cleaning process, it is just part of how inkjet printers work. If you don't like it, buy a laser printer, and pay a heck of a lot more for cartridges.I didn't say I didn't like it, I was just curious if all printers performed this operation every time they were turned on.

Lawrence
23-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Thought if you regularly print something or even print a small pic, your printer will not need to go through a cleaning cycle

Remember reading this years ago in a Epson Forum

Agent_24
23-02-2012, 05:19 PM
I didn't say I didn't like it, I was just curious if all printers performed this operation every time they were turned on.

Oh, from your first post it sounded like you wanted to buy another printer that didn't do that.

pctek
23-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I went off HP after the model I had counted all cartridges as empty by counting the number of pages of black used. And the subsequent court case over it in the US>

My Epson most certainly does not,m cartridges run out as used, not all at once.

plod
23-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Thought if you regularly print something or even print a small pic, your printer will not need to go through a cleaning cycleRemember reading this years ago in a Epson Forum Printets still need to go through a cleaning cycle. Don't know why though. We have a large format inkjet at work. The waste ink container holds 500ml. And we print at least 10m a day on it.

Agent_24
23-02-2012, 05:56 PM
I went off HP after the model I had counted all cartridges as empty by counting the number of pages of black used. And the subsequent court case over it in the US>

My Epson most certainly does not,m cartridges run out as used, not all at once.

As with my Canons. They'll run until they go dry (empty) and keep going, but of course that is not good for the print head, so don't do it!

mikebartnz
23-02-2012, 07:35 PM
There was a way with mine to reset the counter. The other way was to use more than three cartridges and the forth would automatically do a reset.

Paul.Cov
23-02-2012, 09:44 PM
My Canon often mucks around at startup and shutdown, presumably purging ink each time.

It recently went from being happy with the state of all tanks to reporting the yellow as getting low, without me having printed any colour... so I assume the difference is in the ink it trashed itself.

The entire floor of the printer is a big plastic waste tank filled with an absorbent pad to prevent spills if tipping the printer. THere's quite a significant amount of resources gone into containing all this waste (or concealing all the waste).