PDA

View Full Version : Satellite internet -farmside-other possibitilies?

hammer
23-02-2012, 09:40 AM
i am paying $350 a month for 10gb it drops constantly and doesnt come back on for ages,
well minutes, it is slow, it always drops when doing internet banking at 5 to 10pm.
have had there eggpurts out to check it, i have complained,
i have now just given up and are hardly using the pc's at home. but still paying the 350.

wondering if there is anything new out there others are using.
we get good reception on our 3g phones so that shouldnt be a prob.

i am so totally over dealing with farmside.
i thought telecom were bad before i moved here,
i was bunted off go large by them years ago and got the sulks.

gees anyone sulking about telecom should try dealing with farmside.

my $350 unleashed speeds are anything from 1.16Mbps to 3.8MBps whoppie doo

pctek
23-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I have.

All them of them resell Ipstar, however there are a number that do, so chnage providers - if you are past your contract date. Wireless Nation is one of the others - Google for the others.

Hopper
23-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Where are you? If you are near enough for cell coverage you may be near enough for wireless. Netspeed?

dugimodo
23-02-2012, 03:37 PM
What about a mobile broadband solution? both networks have USB sticks available and I'm fairly sure it would be cheaper than satelite.
You could grab a cheap prepay T-stick and try it out with relatively small risk if the coverage is good like you say. I'd ring or E-mail your cellphone network provider and ask them what they can offer.

I use my smartphone tethered to my PC once a month when I attend a LAN party and it works suprisingly well, so depending what sort of phones you have there may even be an option to connect through one of them.

Edit devices like these (Telecom ones but vodafone does it too and probably 2 degrees as well)
http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Telecom-XT-NetComm-WiFi-3G-Wireless-Hotspot-3G24W-Prepaid-Bundle?SKU=1544666 would be good if you share a connection with more than one device.

I had a $79 USB stick from Dick Smiths to link as well but the webpage crapped out before I could link it

MushHead
24-02-2012, 08:33 AM
You could grab a cheap prepay T-stick and try it out with relatively small risk if the coverage is good like you say. I'd ring or E-mail your cellphone network provider and ask them what they can offer.

+1

There's a bunch of router devices (http://www.ascent.co.nz/search.aspx?T1=3g+router) out there that take your USB 3G stick & share its connection via Ethernet and/or WiFi. I've used the D-Link DIR-412 & a couple of NetComm ones & they just work as advertised. If you've got half-decent 3G coverage on your phones, I bet you could find a fixed location around your house to site a 3G stick that would give you better performance than what you've got, at a fraction of the cost.

inphinity
24-02-2012, 01:24 PM
we get good reception on our 3g phones so that shouldnt be a prob.

So get a 3G modem then. 2Degrees, Telecom, Vodafone all offer them, though cost will vary depending on how much you use. You mentioned beig on a 10GB plan atm, but do you use 10GB? Would you if the service was reliable? Depending which of the three above you chose, its about $50 for 2 or 3GB, to about $150 for 8 - 12GB. 2 degrees imo have better pricing, but have less coverage (so if you're rural you may be outside their "Data Zones").

hammer
28-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the help.. given me some ideas i didn't know about.. had never heard of wireless nation. will sort soething now..

pctek
28-02-2012, 11:22 AM
had never heard of wireless nation. will sort soething now..
Note: They're not the only ones, just one I can remember without looking them all up. Look them up.
Compare plans and pricing.

It's because - like Telecom, Farmside are the bigger one and can afford the advertising, the others are smaller.

So - not always, but usually better customer services...

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2012, 04:01 PM
What's your rough street address, somebody here can look up and see what services are available. Or, PM me if you want and I can look it up for you?