PDA

View Full Version : Brother Printer driver keeps coming back !

Digby
23-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Hi Guys

I'm on Windows 7

I had a Brother HL 2140 laser
I bought a new 2130.

I uninstalled the 2140 and installed the new driver from the CD.

But every time I boot up the Brother 2140 printer icon shows up in Devices & Printers and several programs want to to print using it which causes errors.

I right click on the 2140 icon and remove it, but next time I boot up it comes back again.

Any suggestions ?

dugimodo
23-02-2012, 07:48 AM
That's weird, maybe driver sweeper can delete it better?
In any case if you leave both installed and set the 2130 as the default printer wouldn't that stop things trying to print to the other? just right click the icon and chose set as default.

Speedy Gonzales
23-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Did you turn the printer off when u installed the new drivers?? Then turn it back on when it the install says to??

Digby
23-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Did you turn the printer off when u installed the new drivers?? Then turn it back on when it the install says to??

Yes, but the install process did not seem to go as it was supposed.

Frankly I am appalled at the poor install programs of some of these printers.
After all these years, they should be fool proof

Digby
23-02-2012, 08:20 AM
That's weird, maybe driver sweeper can delete it better?
In any case if you leave both installed and set the 2130 as the default printer wouldn't that stop things trying to print to the other? just right click the icon and chose set as default.

The new one 2130 is set to default with the green tick.

dugimodo
23-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Frankly I am appalled at the poor install programs of some of these printers.
After all these years, they should be fool proof

Me too, I no longer buy HP or Brother printers because of the grief I've had installing them, perfectly good hardware with totally crappy software installation.

PeterQ
23-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I had some problems with my HP printer software but was advised to download installation files of the HP website and havent had a problem yet, in fact it is the best printer i have ever had

Renegade
23-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Definitely strange quirks with Win 7 / Brother. My 2140 is listed once in the Control Panel / Printers, but it appears twice in any File->Print dialog box. I can't recall if I installed with drivers from Brother or just let Win 7 do it.

Non-related tip, get more life from your toner http://youtu.be/hPCGZZIdXyM

Speedy Gonzales
23-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I wouldnt let win7 install printer drivers. Thats why you should turn it off, then turn it back on, when the brother / hp drivers tell you to. Dont leave the printer on when you connect it. Otherwise, windows will install its own drivers

Digby
23-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I wouldnt let win7 install printer drivers. Thats why you should turn it off, then turn it back on, when the brother / hp drivers tell you to. Dont leave the printer on when you connect it. Otherwise, windows will install its own drivers

Not quite sure what you mean.

I know that all printer installation programs tell you not to have the printer connected until told to do so. (I have been installing printers for 20 years)
So that's what I did.
Then near the end of the installation there seemed to be a problem, but the new printer 2130 was installed !

All I want to do is remove references in My Printers/Devices to Brother 2140.

Speedy Gonzales
23-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Try the uninstall tool (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/as/hk/en/dlf/dlf/000000/002800/dlf002801.html?reg=as&c=hk&lang=en&prod=hl2140_all&type2=2&os=92&flang=4&dlid=dlf002801)

This is for Win7 32 and 64 bit

Digby
23-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Well spotted Speedy.
That utility "looked" good
Considering that it took me ten tries to install it with its crappy installation process
When I finally installed it, it listed the drivers and they were both they.
So I clicked on the HL2140 and rebooted.
And lo and behold its still there.

So I think this utitilty was written by the same guy that writes their rivers, probably based in Afganhistan.

The good thing is that they have a form to fill in where you can rate this utility !

wainuitech
23-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Had a similar problem a few years back, what I had to do was remove both models of printers completely first with Revo uninstaller, all folders, reg keys the LOT. Then manually go through the folders locations, as well as reg to check.

Windows 7 also has a hidden folder in C drive called "Program Data" look in there and you will find folders / files in there as well.

What may be happening since their printers use the basically the same software, the old files are still thinking its installed.