PDA

View Full Version : Wireless security

katharinem
22-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I have a Linksys VOIP WAG54GP2, Wireless-g ADSL2 Gateway
Have accessed Router Configuration webpage.
1. On the WIRELESS SECURITY TAB the Security Mode is WPA2 Personal; WPA Logarithms-AES;
WPA Preshared Key ......... I have forgotten this (Is this the preshared key that you give to others so
they can access your wireless??) The box underneath that has Password and the Group Renewal Key - 3650.
Can I change the password here and just save the settings??
I am helping someone set up a notebook which locates our wireless but cannot connect because I can't remember
the password.
2. WIRELESS NETWORK MODE: Has the first box enabled for Primary SSID; the PVC Mapping is disabled and the
SSID Broadcast Box is Enabled. If I don't want anyone using our wireless, would simply disabling that box prevent anyone else connecting?
3. Under the Wireless Network Access Tab the Current SSID has the ALLOW ALL box enabled. Again if I disable
that will it prevent others accessing our connection?
Thanks
Confused and needing help!

fred_fish
22-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I have a Linksys VOIP WAG54GP2, Wireless-g ADSL2 Gateway
Have accessed Router Configuration webpage.
1. On the WIRELESS SECURITY TAB the Security Mode is WPA2 Personal; WPA Logarithms-AES;
WPA Preshared Key ......... I have forgotten this (Is this the preshared key that you give to others so
they can access your wireless??) The box underneath that has Password and the Group Renewal Key - 3650.
Can I change the password here and just save the settings?? Yes.

I am helping someone set up a notebook which locates our wireless but cannot connect because I can't remember
the password.
2. WIRELESS NETWORK MODE: Has the first box enabled for Primary SSID; the PVC Mapping is disabled and the
SSID Broadcast Box is Enabled. If I don't want anyone using our wireless, would simply disabling that box prevent anyone else connecting?It will make it less visible but no less connectible. It is just an inconvenience, to you and a hacker, leave it enabled.

3. Under the Wireless Network Access Tab the Current SSID has the ALLOW ALL box enabled. Again if I disable
that will it prevent others accessing our connection?
Unsure, maybe for wireless access to your LAN as well as to internet. Test it both ways and spot the difference (or rtfm :) )

katharinem
22-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks - now trying to figure out Windows Live Mail only to find there is just plain Windows Mail as well. Need to get some mail
programme set up for my 82 year old friend to use with her 'xtra.co.nz email' and not have her loaded up with too many different IDs and passwords. Oh for Outlook Express. She doesn't want a webmail address.

Speedy Gonzales
22-02-2012, 02:20 PM
What version of windows is installed?? If win7 then no. Win7 doesnt come with Windows mail (there's a folder, but it doesnt work). But there is a way to get Windows mail to work in Win7. But you have to download a few files / so it'll work properly. If theyre using XP, Windows mail wont work in XP. You could try thunderbird, but sometimes it thinks it knows what its doing (but it doesnt). It can take a while for things to work properly

OE is for email if she's using XP. You can configure it for email / and send / receive email with it

katharinem
22-02-2012, 10:50 PM
She has Windows 7. I set up Windows Mail with a hotmail address as required then setup the xtra.co.nz address as default. Sent
and received emails OK with the hotmail address but can only receive with the xtra.co.address, not send. Have read on other forums of people having problems with the xtra server settings. Have tried the settings as shown on Telecom site but still cannot send from the xtra.co. address. Now I cannot open the Windows mail programme because as soon as we are online, the programme starts trying to send the unsent emails in the ruddy outbox. Of course it can't, so I have given up and done a system restore.
Failing that I'll uninstall the whole Mail programme and start again. Anyone else having the same problem with not being able to
send from an xtra.co.nz? It seems to be with newer connections as a friend is having the same problem with a new OS install.

Speedy Gonzales
23-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Windows 7's windows mail doesnt work. So, I dont know how you managed to get it to work. Unless you copied a working version from Vista 32 / 64 bit. Then downloaded a few registry tweaks / hacks.. Thats what you need for it to work in Windows 7

dugimodo
23-02-2012, 07:45 AM
There's no need to set up hotmail that I recall, when I had vista with windows mail I just had xtra as the only account I thought.

Anyway go over the settings again, even a tiny typo can muck it up, from telecoms website;

Incoming Mail Server: pop3.xtra.co.nz
Uses SSL
Port: 995
Username: Your email address without @xtra.co.nz
(e.g. joe.bloggs@xtra.co.nz becomes joe.bloggs)
Outgoing mail server: send.xtra.co.nz
Uses SSL
Port: 465
Outgoing server requires authentication

or http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1232
The instructions have always worked for me. Personally I would use either thunderbird or windows live mail rather than hack windows mail to work in 7 which someone must have done if you actually have it working.

katharinem
23-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I made the xtra.co.nz the default account in Windows Live Mail - no tweaks- now it is sending and receiving from both accounts. Havethe settings exactly as written (dugimodo). When I first installed Windows Live I think I had to register as a Windows Live member/userAnother maybe - maybe it needed a restart to make the changes stick. Maybe the system restore helped.
Thanks for your help.