PDA

View Full Version : Do any of the forum members who live in Hamilton live near Claremont Ave, Chartwell??

Speedy Gonzales
21-02-2012, 11:51 AM
My sis lives around this area. She's got an HP DV6000, (Vista HP - dont know if its 32 or 64 bit), and its coming up with a boot manager (or bootmgr) is missing message on bootup. She's not online.

I could send a system repair cd down to her (If I have to). Would a Win7 / Vista x64 system repair cd work (would it matter if her system is 32 or 64 bit)??

But it maybe faster if someone in the HN area could (hopefully) help her out. She tried to restore it but all that did, was reboot and nothing else. It sounds borked to me.

If you can help send me a PM, and I'll give you her addy. Any help appreciated

pctek
21-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Would a Win7 / Vista x64 system repair cd work (would it matter if her system is 32 or 64 bit)??

repair install should fix it if it's an OS screwup. But you have to have the right CD, Vista OR Win7 isn't good enough. Needs to be the right one, and right version and OEM.

And then, why did the O/S screwup? Errors on the drive? Malware? Need to establish why too, or a repair won't necessarily last more than 5 minutes.

Speedy Gonzales
21-02-2012, 01:03 PM
I have no idea, what screwed it up. It's not here. Yup, just read you need whatever system repair cd for whatever OS is installed. Which maybe tricky. May have to tell her to bring it here. I'll remove the hdd connect it to this. And (hopefully) there's an ISO or something I can burn. So, I can reinstall the OS

wainuitech
21-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Get her to look at the Sticker on the underside, that will tell you whats on it, as long as its still the factory install. Then send the appropriate repair CD, boot from the CD, Select Startup Repair and let Vista do its thing. Should repair the damage as long as the HDD is not stuffed.

If that fails, then rebuild it manually, ( from another site- cant be bothered writing it out :) )

- Get your Vista installation DVD and pop it into your drive.
- Then restart your computer.
- Press a key when you are prompted.
- Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next
- Click Repair your computer
- Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next
- In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt
- Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and then press ENTER

If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.

If Bootrec cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order shown below: (Remember to press ENTER after each command)

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

- Restart the computer.

Speedy Gonzales
21-02-2012, 03:58 PM
But will a win7 or vista x64 system repair cd work?? Or the Win 7 / Vista x86/x64 DVD? Thats all I've got. Win7x64 is on this. Vista x64 is on the other computer

I know whats she's got. Vista HP OEM (which is probably factory installed). But I don't know if its 32 or 64 bit. She cant do anything, because she cant get into Vista. Not too sure if restore or repair is working. Got her to press FN+F11 (If FN is on her laptop - probably is) about an hr ago now. Haven't heard back to say if that worked or not. I'll send another txt to see if it says 32 or 64 bit on the bottom

dugimodo
21-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I have an upgrade edition Vista 32 bit Disk you're welcome to, it might not work though. It has to be installed from inside windows and if you boot from the Disk it gives you a message to that effect. Still might have the recovery option though and I don't want it (sold the PC it belongs to with a different OS and it's sitting here gathering dust with a useless key that can't be activated). I'll boot off it tonight and see if it has the repair options. PM me if you want it.

Speedy Gonzales
21-02-2012, 04:15 PM
We'll have to get into it first if it has to be installed from within windows. But pointless if the key wont activate it. You may as well biff it

wainuitech
21-02-2012, 04:57 PM
If the CPU wont take a 64Bit then the repair CD x64 wont work either.

As they say wheres theres a will theres a way -- PM coming.

dugimodo
21-02-2012, 06:43 PM
well the disk does boot and you can click the repair now option so I thought it might be some use. the key is obviously useless and so is the disc if you need to reinstall from scratch but I thought I'd offer. The bin is it's likely destination.

Edit, I had a play and I suspect it's the key that makes it upgrade only. You can get all the way to entering a key on the install option but when you enter the one that comes with it it says "to use the product key you entered, start the installation from your existing version of windows"
If you had a different key it might act differently.