PDA

View Full Version : Program Not Found

24-10-2001, 05:53 PM
On reciept of email containing a *.jpg attachment, on attempting to open a banner opens up headed: Program Not Found
Windows cannot find PhotoEd.exe
This program is needed for opening files of type ' jpeg Image'.
Location of PhotoEd.exe
Then C:/ in a box requesting an entry from me!
Plus the usual OK/Cancel/Location tabs.
Problem: Cannot find PhotoEd.exe location?
Any ideas??

24-10-2001, 06:41 PM
What has happened, is that files of type *.jpg are associated with the program file PhotoEd.exe. This means that whenever you try to 'run' the jpg file, it passes it as a parameter to PhotoEd.exe.

The problem is that windows cannot find the file PhotoEd.exe, so when you try to run the jpg file, it gives you the Program not Found Error.

You can do one of two things, you can find the file PhotoEd.exe, and then enter in the location of this file when prompted, or you can re-associate .jpg files with another application.

To reassociate the file type, hold down Shift, and right click on a .jpg file.

Select 'Open With'

Make sure the box 'Always use this to open files of type...' is checked.

Select another application you want to view .jpg files with, IE works, or paintshop, but preferably a semi decent graphics editor.

You will probably have to repeat this process with files of type .jpeg as there are two valid file extensions for JPEG images.

Hope this helps

25-10-2001, 09:30 AM
Thanks Iain for your prompt assistance. When I do as suggested and hold Shift and right click, I do not get 'Open With'
I get options to 'open/print/save as/save all/ quickview'. Clicking quickview then asks if you would like to try default viewers? Click yes and I get a picture OK. However,I am using Win 98 2nd ed & IE 5.5 and until recently used to open *.jpg files without a problem. What has changed, any further ideas??