PDA

View Full Version : HDD - Manufacturers Warranty - Assistance Appreciated.

SP8's
20-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi all

I have the neighbours Apple Mac Book Pro with a 160GB Hitachi HD which seems to have died. The manufacturing date is November 09 but the computer was purchased in 2010.

She has been back to the retailer and been told it is out of the 12 month warranty and she should have paid the extra $300 for the extended.

I seem to remember some posts regarding the CGA, Manufacturers Warranties, etc, but can't find any specific to Mac or Hitachi HD's.

Could someone please advise whether the HD is covered by either ... details as follows

HDD : 5K500.B-160
HTS545016B9SA02

PTBFS 655 - 1537B*IX94608F J9QMA*

Hope these numbers mean something to someone !

Also, is it possible to replace a the HD with a standard 2.5" ... or are Mac different ... has Apple HDD Firmware on the label as well.

TIA as always

Dave.

20-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi there
unfortunately, most retailers have a complete disregard for the CGA.
Even companies I have worked for, would pretend they werent bound by the CGA (even after I protested we do have to abide by the CGA)

Unfortunately, you will have to kick up a big fuss & take them to the Disputes tribunal.
So you may want to ask if its worth the cost of a new hard Drive.

I would think you would quite easily be covered by the CGA in this case.
You could quote hard drive manufactures MTBF : that states how long on average a HD will last.

pctek
20-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Here: Hitachi warranty:

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/support/warranty/

Although they are most definitely not my favourite HDD brand............

SP8's
20-02-2012, 01:55 PM
OK ... I've been onto the Hitachi website (http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/drive_labels/snpn.htm) to try and find out whether the drive is still under warranty. There is no S/N preceding the number, there is however the alphanumeric sequence between the asterisks as shown in the OP.

Problem is, whenever I enter that sequence it comes up as "invalid" ... I have tried it with asterisks and without ... If I leave a space as shown in the OP and identical to the label on the HD ... it comes up with "you can only check one HD at a time" (or words to that effect)

Any ideas anyone ???

SP8's
20-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks pctek ... as per post above, I've found the site and getting the problems described

wainuitech
20-02-2012, 02:07 PM
You'll find the reason you wont be able to locate the Hard Drive on the warranty, could be because its a Manufactures OEM Drive, these drives are supplied to the manufactures Eg: Apple, for their MAC's. They are different drives than the normal "buy a single drive" from a shop.

The majority of those from memory only come with a 1 year warranty.Thats 1 year from date of Purchase, not date of manufacture.

SP8's
20-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks Wainui ... Can you tell me whether it's possible to just replace the drive with a new one ?? I'm a little unsure because this is the first Apple I've worked on and the drive has "Apple Firmware" ... owner has disc but unsure whether it's a full OS or not as I haven't powered it up yet.

OK ... so powered it up and the disc is an install disc for Snow Leopard ... can't find the HD so assume it's dead. If it's possible to chuck a new HD in and install OS, there's no problem, however, if there are any snags in doing so, I'd appreciate advice.

wainuitech
20-02-2012, 02:56 PM
To be honest, I've never done a fresh install on a MAC - so sorry I cant honestly say if it will work or not. It should do, cant really see any reason why not.

Just found http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1544 May be of some help.

SP8's
20-02-2012, 03:07 PM
cant really see any reason why not.

It's Apple .... :waughh:

Thanks for the link Wainui

wainuitech
20-02-2012, 03:12 PM
It's Apple .... :waughh:

Enough Said :lol: Have a read of This Here (http://www.macinstruct.com/node/130) - you can skip all teh fing ding crap, scroll right to the bottom "If You Don't Have a Boot-able Backup, or Wish to Use Your Restore Disks"

Chilling_Silence
20-02-2012, 04:15 PM
In my experience I formatted the HDD completely, was able to reinstall OSX just by popping in the disc and holding down something like the Command key to get it to boot from DVD. Easy :D

Agent_24
20-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I know with my old PowerPC 6100 the partion\format tool would throw an error if the HDD was not one with Apple firmware, and refuse to do anything with it.

There was a way around that, by hex-editing the formatting tool so it wouldn't care, but I don't know if this problem is still present in newer machines.

icow
20-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I brought a random seagate 320gb HDD for my macbook recently. Just went out and picked the cheapest one. No firmware issues to speak of. Macbook was from 2007.

plod
20-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Any drive will do, when you boot with the OS discs go to disk utility and format to the format you want.

SP8's
20-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Geeze ... you guys are GOOD !!! ... I was just getting ready to ask some questions and you've answered them before I could get a chance ... :clap