PDA

View Full Version : Windows & V XP Pro?

GrahamB
19-02-2012, 07:35 PM
I am in the process of replacing an old (circa 06) computer running XP Pro with a new Quad 4 machine. This new machine comes with a trial version of Windows 7. The theory is that I can either buy a Key or use my own Key, which of course I do not have. There is also the option to have XP Pro installed, and use my existing key for that.

The new machine will be used for relatively mundane work, except for some FX Trading where I will be using a new video card capable of working 2 monitors simulaneously. The old machine is running on 32 Bit, so my questions are:

1. Can XP Pro uprade itself to 64 bit without further costs? And
2. Which Operating System OS is going to be better ( the most stable and reliable!)?

Without getting into big discussions on the details of the individual systems, i would also welcome any pithy little pointers that could change by purchase decision process!

TFYH

GrahamB

wainuitech
19-02-2012, 07:45 PM
A 32 bit OS wont be changed to 64bit, you need to reinstall from fresh.

As for the better system -- W7 by far.

Keep in mind that all support for XP will be gone by 2014, no updates etc.Add to that many manufactures wont be supporting XP in the near future, driver update will be come a problem, and some hardware already doesn't have drivers for XP.

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2012, 07:45 PM
XP Pro 32 bit can't upgrade itself to 64 bit. You'll have to do a clean install (from a 64 bit DVD). You're probably thinking of Windows 7 Pro, + Ultimate. Which will let you use XP mode. This will install XP Pro (like a virtual machine). Its a separate install, and gets installed with its own key. Nothing wrong with XP. If you want more than 4 GB then 64 bit is better. BUT, if you decide to use / get 64 bit, MAKE SURE the devices you've got have 64 bit drivers. 32 bit drivers wont work

pcuser42
19-02-2012, 07:54 PM
2. Which Operating System OS is going to be better ( the most stable and reliable!)?

Windows 7 by far. Even self-heals in most cases :)

Paul.Cov
19-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I don't believe a licence for your existing 3b bit XP will permit the machine to upgrade itself to 64 bit. Or in other words, there's an upgrade cost.
MS didn't get to be MS by being nice.

Personally, I've loved the reliability of W7, although drivers and issues with old hardware (eg scanners) are a bit of a bind on odd occasions.
Networking between W7 and older Win machines is not as easy as it should be.

I dislike the Search (find files) function in W7, and also dislike Explorer and Desktop sidebar limitations compared to XP. Otherwise it's all been good.

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Its easy as to network Win7 / XP and Vista. Just share a folder / kill password protected sharing / Homegroup. Thats about it

20-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Why are you buying? a PC without a licensed Operating System
It sounds a tad dodgy, a new PC with a trial version of Win7

If your existing XP key is OEM , you CANT use that. You can only re-use a Full Retail Xp & it can then only
be installed on 1 PC

Save yourself some grief, get a PC with Win7 OEM pre-installed with a licensed install.
You'll probhably need to buy MS office as well

Speedy Gonzales
20-02-2012, 10:56 AM
You dont have to buy office. There are free office suites around. Which are just as good

wainuitech
20-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Regarding Office, if the place you are buying the computer from is a Microsoft Partner, or tied in some other way, they can put on the office starter edition - costs the customer nothing - and the cost for the builder is close enough to the same price. Lets say they have to purchase a bundle of 10 minimum, and each one costs peanuts, ( in fact a bag of peanuts may cost more ) ;)

Why are you buying? a PC without a licensed Operating System
It sounds a tad dodgy, a new PC with a trial version of Win7
Thats the sort of thing dodgy buggers on trade me do.