PDA

View Full Version : Pc Freezing / unresponsive

Nhashon
19-02-2012, 12:52 AM
My HP Pavillion dv7 , i7 is nowdays getting unressponsive , i have got avg free edition , and cc cleaner , quick time player . Further my cpu fan is properlly working i believe , and i havent spotted any viruses . I believe it's avg tried to slow down computer which makes it unressponsive , and when i open new tabs in google chrome , i believe that causes that causes heating .

some other specs to know about ; 4GB Ram , Windows 7 -64 bit .

Any thing i could now to atleast to my pc from becoming unressponsive , i dony really care about the heating ?

pctek
19-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Run some antispyware, antivirus on it's own isn't much use, especially AVG.
Spybot, Malware Bytes, Superantispyware.

And you don't care about heating? Heat can kill your CPU....

Nhashon
19-02-2012, 12:38 PM
oh ok im runninf esct nod 32 at the moment , willl update with whats the result ????

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Look in task manager. See whats hogging the CPU. Uninstall AVG if youre scaning with NOD. Is windows up to date? Is SP1 installed?

Nhashon
19-02-2012, 09:34 PM
i just download est nod 32 for a trial not full verison. Yes i do update my computer when it asks me to , the important and optional and sp1 is installed .

pctek
20-02-2012, 07:43 AM
oh ok im runninf esct nod 32
And some antispyware.

Nhashon
20-02-2012, 08:29 AM
not really

dugimodo
20-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Really.

Follow pcteks original suggestions, they are all free and if you've never run any of them I can almost gaurantee they will find stuff. Antivirus programs do not do the same job.
Also MSE is a better free AV than AVG, I would change personally. And you really should not have more than one AV installed at a time, always uninstall the old one first.

Some general things to improve responsiveness.
Clean out unwanted software
Stop things you don't use from auto running on startup
Run AntiVirus AND anti malware scans
make sure your C: or OS partition is not too close to being full - windows 7 will show the used space as a red bar if this is the case
Defrag the hard drive (I personally don't bother with this one but it can sometimes help)

If you think the CPU is getting hot get something to monitor it so you can check, heat is bad. Speedfan or Realtemp are both free programs that should work

Nhashon
20-02-2012, 09:29 AM
hey dugimodo
, recently i managed to run est nod 32 , which alot of pcworld users perfer as their secuirty software which that didnt catch any virus or spyware and security risk , but anyone will run MSE though one time i installed it and it run slow scans maybe something pc world users should think about .

I will try and clean out unwanted software , Run AntiVirus AND anti malware scans
, make sure your C: or OS partition is not too close to being full - windows 7 will show the used space as a red bar if this is the case
, defrag the hadrdrive but how do i go on about Stopping things you don't use from auto running on startup. and are speed fan , Realtemp are reliable

dugimodo
20-02-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't have rights at work to do this so it's hard to tell you the proper steps but from memory;
click the start button
Type msconfig into the search box, hit enter
there should be a startup tab or similar where you can go through what programs launch on startup

If that's confusing there are a couple of easier ways - CCleaner has a tool to do this if you look through it's menus, Spybot also does if you set it to advanced mode and go to tools - startup. I like the spybot one because it has descriptions on the right hand side that tell you what many of the entries are and wether you need them or not, and also if you click them in spybot it disables them without removing, so you can test and see what happens and put it back if needed.

I've never found MSE to be any slower than other Virus scanners myself, at least compared to AVG and Avast. I've never tried NOD32 but I read good things about it. I always have fairly powerful PCs though so that might make it hard to tell the difference.

Nhashon
21-02-2012, 08:37 AM
now i have unsitalled est nod 32 , defrag the system and looks peformance has been improved , though stilll have avg .

Snorkbox
21-02-2012, 09:05 AM
So get MSE instead then.