PDA

View Full Version : Some Email disappears between Mailwasher and Outlook

Billy T
18-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Hi Team

This has NOT been a good week! I have fresh problems..........

Over the last three days I have had emails from two different senders vanishing somewhere between MailWasher and Outlook. The first was an email of AirNZ Etickets for a flight to Napier and the second was an email from a TM seller providing her bank account number for payment.

In each case the email appeared as usual in MailWasher, and I could read the contents, but when I clicked 'Process mail' Outlook opened and they disappeared from MailWasher as usual, but they didn't turn up in my Outlook Inbox.

No, they were not in deleted items/spam or any other alternative folders, and all other email is behaving 100% normally. I tried several times to get the Etickets from AirNZ, even using a different email address, but in the end I had to get on their help line and after several more monitored failures on two separate addresses using two diiferent ISPs (my business [domain name] email is hosted by Orcon so I assume it goes to Orcon's mailserver) I got them sent to my standby Gmail address which, incidentally, does not pass through MailWasher, and all was well. The TM problem was temporarily resolved via the expedient of copying the content of the email from MailWasher.

There were multiple failures from Air NZ including several duplicates they sent while we were discussing it on their help line (top marks for courtesy, knowledge and patience). All the boxes were ticked for every question they asked me, and I have received many Etickets from AirNZ over recent years and two this year alone without problems until now. I could see and download anything they sent, except those with Eticket attachments

Since Mailwasher just looks at the Mail on Xtra's server and doesn't do anything to it, I have difficulty understanding how the entirely separate transaction of opening Outlook and downloading mail from that server can discriminate between email sources. I can't speak for the TM seller, but I can access other AirNZ emails no problem.

At first I thought it might be related to the E-Ticket attachments, but dammit, there were no attachments for the TM email.

Any ideas as to where I might look next please?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused;

Snorkbox
19-02-2012, 12:13 AM
So are the missing emails in the spam box at the ISPs then?

Safari
19-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Mailwasher just shows what is on the ISP server so if they disappear from there you must be downloading them to Outlook only you are not able to see them.

Have a look in Outlook under View/Current View

wainuitech
19-02-2012, 09:42 AM
In Mailwasher -- You didn't put ticks in the check boxes which tell Mailwasher to wipe them did you ?

Just in case you deleted them by mistake, along the top in Mail-washer, click on the recycle bin Tab, look at the date they came through, if they were deleted at your end they will still be there, if so right click and restore.

If you restore any mails, the attachments if they had any more than likely wont be there, but the actual mail will.

What you can try, next time anything comes through, right click the mail and mark it as good, or friend, it will then turn that persons contact green every time.

kjaada
19-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Why not use thunderbird mail and forget about mailwasher and other "safety" apps that cost and do not work
or require a guru to set up.

kjaada
19-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Why not use thunderbird mail and forget about mailwasher and other "safety" apps that cost and do not work
or require a guru to set up.
I have looked back and have used "Thunderbird" on Windows since late 2004 and can not remember any mail problems since then.
Prior to then I was a "Mailwasher fan" (except when I had to pay my subscription) but I had more than the odd upset,some pretty
major which I blamed on my lack of expertise.

wainuitech
19-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Thunderbird wont allow you to preview mails before allowing them through.

The idea behind mailwasher is you can delete any mails you dont want to get, and only allow the ones through you actually want.
If you allow them through first, you then have to go and sort them as to whats spam, junk etc or delete, today alone mailwasher dumped off 33 emails I selected, and only allowed through the one that I wanted.

Agent_24
19-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Prior to then I was a "Mailwasher fan" (except when I had to pay my subscription) but I had more than the odd upset,some pretty
major which I blamed on my lack of expertise.

Seemed pretty easy to use when I used to use it. I don't bother any more though, Xtramail catches most spam and the few that come through I just delete myself.

Paul.Cov
19-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Two thoughts come to mind... new emails can seem to disappear when your Inbox is sorted by date IF the senders computer is set to an incorrect date / time, or is in a different timezone. Check your own timezone too while you're at it. Alternative is to sort the Inbox on Read / Unread status and have a look for them.
I've seen cases where the senders BIOS battery had presumably gone flat, with their time defaulting to something pertaining to the date of manufacture of the BIOS, or 01/01/2005. Their emails can seem to disappear, as they get sorted among all the other mail from 2005!

The other thought, as already touched on, is that Mailwasher can and does delete mails! Care needs to be taken whenever any email gets taged as Spam by Mailwasher. Simply using "Process Mail" in mailwasher to open Outlook is a wee bit risky in this regard.

quentinreade
19-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi there,
Quentin from Orcon here.
Can you please send me some details and the team will have a look into it for you.
quentin.reade@team.orcon.net.nz
Thanks!