PDA

View Full Version : IT Study Place , help needed

Nhashon
17-02-2012, 10:14 AM
I want to do IT studies but im really not sure which would be good or best ? I have at mean time chosen
http://www.computerpower.ac.nz/ as my first choice but people are also saying try http://www.ames.ac.nz/Home.aspx , my second choice was MIT but i dont see much good things they teach which can lead me into a better IT career such as a proffesional . So i want to know if any people who have been to any of these places , computer power , mit , ames , or any other , places feel free to let me know what you think about them and give a rating out of 10 ?

Thanx

pctek
17-02-2012, 10:26 AM
MIT.
But it does depend what sort of IT career you want. If programming go to University.
Polytechnics are better for networking and so on, MIT was good for the electronic side too, assuming it's still the same...

Nhashon
17-02-2012, 10:38 AM
hey im looking something like Diploma in Systems Technology . whats good about MIT ???

Nomad
17-02-2012, 04:31 PM
These questions have been posted before.
Don't want to write too much. For me MIT might be another provider. MIT might be cheaper and with more structured classes eh.. :confused: The (2) you linked to afaik are PTEs - private training est. They are more costly. CPI I know doesn't have any classes, all you do is turn up study thru the book which they provide you and do the tests and passes each and every module and there is your Diploma. If you need help, you just ask the tutors. If you want to do the Microsoft or CCNA tests to get those certificates, they are additional costs that you need to pay for.

In theory one could study from the book at home but you may get more support with them.
If you do the Diploma in Network something - that is more $$, and b/c the student loan won't cover more than $10k per year (for PTEs) when you sit the other tests you may need to finance that.

Once all that done and settled. You look for a job. Completely diff world really. This applies equally to all the uni's etc ... While some of those places say companies are crying out for computer engineers or travel the world in demand or that they will provide support for you until you get a job - take it as a grain of salt. They will help you but you still have to write your CV etc etc ... Think of it as your high school career liaison officer.

I have heard those who did a hardware qualification, then started off in helpdesk. I know a mature lady who worked for a smallish IT firm as a admin person. I know one that did software development but went back to his previous role which was hospitality and now as a recruiter. As you may know, many people learn one thing but may not get a job in that. ...

wainuitech
17-02-2012, 04:45 PM
hey im looking something like Diploma in Systems Technology . whats good about MIT ??? I got that Diploma, back in 2001-2002 ish, it was then named Spherion Education, but looking at the address its the same place,Computer Power,plimmer Towers wgtn.